This Model 8 was headed for the dumpster!

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
RNC

This Model 8 was headed for the dumpster!

Post by RNC »

I am a "newbie" having just joined this most interesting website and forum. By coincidence I picked up the current edition (May '14) of Rifle Firepower magazine off the rack at the local Walmart just to give it preview having never read the magazine previously. Lo and behold, I turned immediately to an excellent article about the Model 8 in which The Great Model 8 website was listed. So that is how I came to arrive here. By the way, the article is well written and is a real credit to the story and history of this great rifle. You may well wish to purchase it. Now let me introduce you to my wonderful Model 8.

The Remington Model 8 that I own was given to me by an old family friend in 1988. He was very casual about it and simply told me that it was a rifle that his father had hunted with but that he had no interest in keeping it. He said that he thought his dad had bought it new in about 1915 or before. Frankly, I thought he was giving me a piece of junk. It was in two pieces each in soiled cloth gun sleeves. The stock and forearm showed no appearance of the underlying grain and could have passed for two hunks of very ordinary looking maple. The metal surfaces were covered with rust and the bolt was frozen. Actually I accepted it only out of kindness since he said it had belonged to his father and I did not wish to seem rude. Otherwise I would have said “no thanks”. For years it laid behind some stuff in my garage. In about 2001 I was taking some work to my gunsmith. I grabbed the “piece of junk” in the garage to take to him to see if he might want it for parts or something. When I handed it to him I told him that if he didn’t want it I would like to throw it in his dumpster. “No, you don’t throw one of these away even in this condition”, he replied. “This is an old Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington”. He went on to say that I should leave it with him and that he would restore it on his own time at very minimal cost. Then he went on to say, “please don’t call me about it as this will take awhile”.

Eight years later (!) I received a call from him…“I’ve got a surprise for you. Come get your Model 8 Remington. I think that you will be pleased. By the way, I took it out and shot it. It works fine”. The pictures tell the rest of the story. He charged me $315 for his work. It was a profitless labor of love. And to think at one point this fine rifle was headed for the dumpster!

There is another twist to this tale. The original owner was the man pictured on the horse with the deceased antelope, George Q. Bruce. His grandfather was William Bruce and, by total coincidence, William Bruce was the founder of the town of Eaton, Ohio that my wife grew up in. So this old Model 8 has even added significance.

One last note. When I first fired my 8 I was reminded of my Army days when, believe it or not, I was issued an M-3 "Grease Gun" as my personal weapon (there is a story there but that will have to wait) in that it made very similar "ker-plunk" noises after each pull of the trigger.

The gentleman that restored this rifle for me is a craftsman .... I think we will all agree. His name is Scott Keller of Bradford, OH.
Attachments
RESIZE PHOTO_Model 8_1.JPG
RESIZE PHOTO_Model 8_1.JPG (113.43 KiB) Viewed 13855 times
ctgodog

Re: This Model 8 was headed for the dumpster!

Post by ctgodog »

WOW!!! Great story and a beautiful rifle....Thanks for sharing!! Military top tang butt plate and checkering, round nob pistol grip, beautiful wood, and tang peep site...My Grandfather's 25 Rem (converted to 30 Rem) also has the same features, except for the checkering, and it has the straight stock. He hunted with this rifle all his life, until he passed. Then my father hunted with it until he passed, and I hunt deer with it every year.

Congrats on a great story and restoration.....

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
Welcome aboard and Congrats on a stroke of unbelievable luck. Your rifle may be a M-8C or else a M-8 A with checkered wood. I can't tell from the posted pics,but in either case , it is a rare piece of American gun history.
Have fun shooting and " playing" with it.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Headoftheholler

Post by Headoftheholler »

What is the metal finish? Park'd?
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Reincarnation from near death, beautiful rifle, excellent restoration, from looks of stock it must have been special order and the wood itself can that possible by maple or more likely english walnut. Thanks to the gentleman gunsmith that saved it.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

NICE The S curve butt plate is very rare and a factory only item. Beautiful stocks.
And you got "C" grade wood at least. Check the serial # on the tang under the stock, if it's got a extra number or a "C" you may have a higher grade rifle.
Plus you have more historical info than most of us.
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

It's not often that you get one of these guns with some legitimate history behind it. RNC, you sir have a really cool rifle there! Thank you for taking the time to share the photo and story with all of us, it's things like this that keep us all interested!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
RNC

Post by RNC »

Yes. Keller selected this method because of the severe surface pitting that was present.
RNC

Post by RNC »

Correction. I was asked by Headoftheholler if the receiver finish was Parkerize and I replied "yes". In fact , it is not. The receiver and barrel was sandblasted before receiving a matte finish.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey RNC,

Welcome to the forum. We are glad that you found us and chose to share some very nice pictures and a great story. You are so fortunate to have a very nice rifle with a history that you have shared. I have often said that the thing that is missing from my collection of these rifles is the individual history such as the one that you have. You have a very special friend who would take the time to restore the rifle given the description you provided and for such a very low price.

I will have to check our Walmart for the magazine and check on the article.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
Trinidad Bill

Post by Trinidad Bill »

Wow! A very nice rifle with a wonderful story and history. Thanks for sharing.
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Redone or not who would not want to own a beautiful rifle like that ... congrats on a job well done.