1931 Remington Model 8 Peace Officer Equipment Co. POE

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
S and S HUNTCLUB

1931 Remington Model 8 Peace Officer Equipment Co. POE

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hello everyone, I had a tremendous amount of help from some of the great folks here on "thegreatmodel8" site & without their help, this would not have happened for me. Here's the story about how it all came together.

I purchased this 1931 Remington Model 8 35 REM. Peace Officer Equipment Co. (POE), back in April of 2013 from a Pawn Shop in Kansas. The rifle is serial #. 6609X and the barrel code is ( OZ ) for July of 1931. The Pawn Shop had the rifle listed on-line for about an hour, when I saw it listed. At first glance, I knew exactly what it was and my heart starting to pump a bit faster than normal. The auction listing description stated that the rifle was missing its magazine & there was no "Buy-Now" option to purchase the rifle, but I knew that I had to have it.

I started to email the Pawn Shop and I was in the middle of my email, when I thought to myself that just maybe...they had their contact phone number listed in another one of their auction listings. I stopped typing the email and started looking at their other auctions and sure enough, there was the phone number & I quickly made the call.

It just so happened to be 10 minutes before closing at the Pawn Shop when I placed the call. A very nice gentleman answered the phone and I inquired about the Model 8 "without" the magazine that they had listed. The gentleman said he was closing up the shop and he was in a rush, as he had an appointment after work, but he pulled the POE from their stock and mentioned that it was missing the magazine. He then said, that the magazines are available "all the time", as the Model 8 parts are always listed "on-line" on various gun auction sites and I should be able to locate one pretty easily.

He was in a big rush to make his appointment after work, but answered a few of the questions that I had and I then asked, if he would be interested in putting a "Buy-Now" option on the auction and he said yes. He then shot me the price and I agreed without hesitation! He asked if I was on-line and he added the "Buy-Now" and I sealed the deal "Two minutes before they closed for the day". The deal took Eight minutes to complete and the gentleman said he had to apologize for cutting me short, but he had to run off to his appointment and he would invoice me the next day. I said "There's no need to apologize sir & thank you for all of your help"!

My heart was really pumping at this point, as I was very excited to have just purchased an "Early" Pre-Patent 1931 Remington Model 8 POE... even though it did not have the 15 round magazine! I do not think that the gentleman had any idea just how rare these rifles are & I believe he thought it was just another Model 8, but it was missing the magazine.

The Model 8 POE arrived 10 days later and it was in really nice condition. I contacted Cam (81Police), to tell him about my purchase and that I was searching for a 15 round POE magazine. I sent some pictures to Cam and he responded saying that the condition of the rifle was one of the nicest he had seen of any of the POE Model 8's. Cam also mentioned that this early style forearm has only been observed on the earliest POE's ranging from 657XX - 663XX, which makes it a real treasure ... as Cam put it! Cam also stated that that the POE MODEL 8's represent 10% or less of ALL POLICE Model 8's & 81 rifle's and since my 1931 had the earliest style forearm... it makes this rifle pretty darn rare indeed!

Cam said he would keep his eyes open for a 15 round POE magazine for me and let me know if he finds one. After a few emails back and forth with Cam, he put me in touch with Jim (jim8008) here on thegreat8 site. Cam mentioned that Jim had a Remington Model 81 POE rifle, with a Model 8 POE 15 round magazine and that Jim was searching for a correct "Patent Dated" Model 81 magazine for his rifle. I contacted Jim and asked if he would be interested in selling his Model 8 POE magazine and rightfully so, Jim responded by saying he could not sell his Model 8 POE magazine without first locating a correct "Patent Dated" Model 81 magazine. He also said if he did do a trade, that he wanted to make sure that his early Model 8 POE went to an original Model 8 POE rifle and since my rifle and his magazine were only 245 digits apart regarding the serial numbers, that it would certainly be fitting that it should go to my rifle, if we could make it all come together.

I stayed in touch with Cam & Jim and I started contacting whomever I could, in the hopes of locating either a Model 8 or Model 81 POE magazine.

In the meantime, Cam emails me about another Model 81 that a gentleman had contacted Cam about and the gentleman wanted to sell his rifle. This rifle was a "First Year Production" Model 81 in 30 Rem. and it was a two digit serial number Model 81. Cam gave me the information and I was able to add #24 to the stable! How sweet is that??? Thanks a bunch Cam! That's a story we'll post at a later date!

Cam was working every angle he could and shaking every branch along the way to locate a 15 round magazine for me. On June 25, 2013 Cam emails me and said he was hot on the trail of a Model 81 POE magazine in 35 Rem. and that he would let me know what he finds out.

Cam knew that I was interested in either type magazine and that if I was able to purchase a Model 81 POE magazine, that just maybe I would be able to make a trade with Jim. As mentioned, I had also discussed this with Jim and he said he would certainly entertain a trade with me, if I could come up with one that worked for him.

A couple of days passed and Cam contacts me and said he had not got an answer, as to whether the gentleman in Scottsdale, AZ wanted to sell and gave me their contact information and I contacted them. I received a reply back a month later, on September 3, 2013 and they hadn't made a decision as to whether or not they wanted to sell one of the two Model 81 POE magazines that they had. I did not want to press the issue.

It's crazy sometimes how the world goes round and in late September we sold a Model 81 to another gentleman in Arizona and he was using the same gun shop that had the Model 81 POE magazines, as his transfer dealer. That opened the door to ask about the magazines again and I finally received some serial number information on the two magazines. I shared this information with Cam & he in turn, emailed some pictures that he had in the archives regarding the magazines in early October, 2013 and I also received some additional pictures from Bear Arms. The pictures I received from Cam, were from a sister magazine to the #999X POE magazine that Bear Arms had. On October 14, 2013, I was able to strike a deal on purchasing a very nice (Early) "Patent Dated" (#999X) Model 81 POE magazine, from Kurt & Roger at Bear Arms.

Turns out that this magazine was originally owned by Bob (remcrazy) here on the site. Bob is also very well known for his "CBR" Pro-Tools & reproduction spanner wrenches, as well as his reproduction stocks and other accessories for the Model 8's and 81's.

I received the Model 81 POE magazine on October 21st and I then got back in touch with Jim (jim8008) and we discussed a trade. We talked for roughly 1-1/2 hours on the phone and we were able to have a "Gentleman's Agreement" and the trade was underway. Jim was gracious enough to send me his Model 8 POE magazine for me to check out and run some rounds through it and he sent the magazine on November 5th. Jim said ... " There's no need to send me your Model 81 POE magazine right now, just take a look at my magazine and make sure it works for you and use it at deer camp ... there's no rush in getting it back to me ... just let me know what you think when you return from deer camp and we'll take it from there". In today's world, it is very nice to deal with such fine and honorable fellas like Jim & Cam. I sincerely appreciate Jim's "HIGH TRUST" in me and I was honored that Jim entrusted me with his rare Model 8 POE magazine.

I took my 1931 Remington Model 8 POE in 35 Rem. and both magazines up to deer camp and ran some rounds through both magazines. Now that was a very cool experience folks! I returned from deer camp and as agreed, I contacted Jim and told him that both magazines performed flawlessly and that I was sending my Model 81 POE magazine to him for his review. On November 25th, 2013 Jim emailed me and said..."Looks Like A Done Deal...call me when you can".

I called Jim and we spoke again for a very long time that night and I really enjoyed the both conversions with him. He's a very fun guy to talk to and he is a very sharp gentleman as well. I certainly am pleased with how it all transpired and dealing with Jim was a real pleasure. I think we're both happy with the outcome & how easy it was to make it all happen... regarding the trade. Thanks a million Jim!

Nearly 8 months had passed and the quest was complete! Jim now has a correct "Patent Dated" Model 81 POE magazine for his rifle and thanks to Jim, Cam and the guys at Bear Arms, I now have a complete early style Remington Model 8 POE, with the correct "Patent Pend." Model 8 POE 15 round magazine.

One other thing that I would like to mention about this early Model 8 POE magazine, is that the PEACE OFFICER EQUIPMENT Co. ST. JOSEPH Mo. PAT. PEND. is "Hand Engraved" on the magazine, unlike the later magazines with this inscription being stamped on the magazine.

The journey to make this all come together was very fulfilling for me. The help I received from everyone throughout the journey really means a lot to me. I could not have done it without Cam & Jims help! I am hoping that both Jim & Cam will add a little bit of information regarding the journey of the Model 8 POE magazine and how they both were there in Tulsa, OK, when Jim original purchased the magazine. It's amazing to me how these rifle's and/or Model 8 or 81 POE magazines make their journey from state to state and one owner to another.

Many Thanks Guys....I sincerely appreciate all of your efforts and help along the way!

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Attachments
IMG_3207.JPG
IMG_3207.JPG (161.92 KiB) Viewed 12576 times
IMG_3210.JPG
IMG_3210.JPG (152.56 KiB) Viewed 12576 times
IMG_3213.JPG
IMG_3213.JPG (150.49 KiB) Viewed 12576 times
jack1653

Re: 1931 Remington Model 8 Peace Officer Equipment Co. POE

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Bob,

This is a great story. I can certainly understand the emotions that you went through and the patience it took to get everything to complete the project. I am always amazed of the contacts it takes to complete some of the projects that all of us embark on.

I agree whole heartedly with the comments you made about Jim. He is an amazing man and as you pointed out, very knowledgeable about the older firearms. Jim called me one day and asked if he could stop by and see my collection of Remington's on his drive back to Texas after a week of vacationing in South Carolina. Jim and his brother-in-law spent several hours looking at everything I had in the model 8 and 81. He brought the magazine that you traded for and I got to hold and examine it. You got a really good magazine. I tried to trade with Jim at that time, but I didn't have a model 81 magazine that would be close to what he was looking to buy.

What you commented about our friend Cameron is echoed by me a 1000 time over. He is a great friend and bends over backward to help any of us. I am going to have to have a talk with him about the early model 8 that he steered toward you. That is a great find and I am sure by the time you gave it a good going over, it is even better. Maybe I better talk to you about that rifle. You sold me #59 and I wouldn't mind having another early first year rifle.

You never really said how the POE might have pounded your shoulder. I know from shooting mine with Cameron, that gun will really pound you and make your shoulder sore after the third and fourth magazine has been emptied. These rifles are fun to shoot but the cost of ammunition can escalate pretty quick when shooting the 15 shot magazines.

Congratulations again on your acquisition.

Kindest Regards,

Jack
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Do like a good story that ends well. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

And here's more to Bob's story ...

I began searching for a Remington police gun in November 2009. After 23 months of looking and finding nothing, I contacted
Cameron in late October 2011 to enlist his help. Then, as things happen sometime, three weeks later I stumbled upon a Model
8 magazine in .35 Rem at the Tulsa Arms Show. Just a mag ... no rifle. Cameron was at the show, as were Bob and Corey
Creamer. I just happened to beat them to the mag.

The magazine had been in Illinois, Kentucky, and Oklahoma before going with me to Texas. Cameron probably knows where
it was before Rock Island, Illinois.

So I had an $800 mag (asking price was $975), but no rifle. Seven months later in June 2012, and 31 months after beginning
my quest, I purchased a Model 81 Police Gun (Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept.) manufactured in March 1942. The rifle did
not have a magazine - but I did. Quite a journey.

Thirty-one months seems like a long time. Worth every minute. It's all about the chase. Last year I bought 5 Winchester
rifles, three of which I had looked for more than twelve years to find ones that suited me; those three were bought in a
90-day span.

Along comes Bob and the Model 8 mag goes to Michigan to complement his Model 8 rifle. I would trade again for a mag
marked 19880 (or probably -880 or -880 2, etc.) to get numbers matching.

Good story Bob. You were easy to deal with. I'll trade with you anytime. Don't forget me when you get ready to sell your
Model 8 POE.

Thanks Jack for your help and your kind remarks. Folks, you should see this collection!

And Cameron ... everyone appreciates what you do for us and this site.

Now you three guys get out there and find me those two Remington police shotguns. I ain't quittin' till I get 'em.
81police

Post by 81police »

What a great story Bob! The time involved and the effort required really made this rifle a memorable piece!

I can remember meeting up with Jim at the Tulsa gunshow and he'd already "reserved" the POE magazine. Jim asked me to look it over which we did and he bought it there on the spot in front me... while I watched and salivated standing there :mrgreen:

Some months later Jim paid me a visit when I was living, at the time, in Irving. He brought in a nice Special Police 81 from the LA County Sheriff's Dept. We had a good time looking it over and talking about it. I remember encouraging him to eventually find a proper Model 81 magazine for it ;)

When Bob contacted me about finding a magazine for possible trade with Jim, it wasn't a day later that I received an email, out of the blue, from the guy with the magazine. It all just worked out, but that's because the parties involved (Jim and Bob) are fair, honest, and just all around great guys. I knew there wouldn't be a problem them two dealing. It worked out good for both of you and that's what gives me satisfaction.

The bad news is, I might have to work overtime to help Jack find another POE, haha
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

and...to comment on your rifle, that is one beauty of a vintage POE Model 8!

The POE...one of the rarest and coolest Model 8's ever, with a known service record with a variety of law enforcement agencies. This example is exceptional my friend. Even though the #'s aren't matching, how cool it is they're so close together. Authentic my friend!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
S and S HUNTCLUB

Thanks again for all the help & I appreciate the kind comments. I also appreciate Jim & Cam adding to the story!

Regarding the added bonus that Cam steered me towards, during the quest for the POE magazine...

jack1653 wrote:Hey Bob,... I am going to have to have a talk with him about the early model 8 that he steered toward you. That is a great find ... Maybe I better talk to you about that rifle. You sold me #59 and I wouldn't mind having another early first year rifle. Jack

Jack, I paraphrased your comments about the rifle Cam steered me towards. It was a first year Model 81 (#24) in 30 Rem. I think you may have either misread what I wrote & thought it was another Model 8. In any case, it is a first year production rifle. It was the lowest serial number for a Model 81 that Cam or I had seen or heard about at the time. Shortly after I purchased the Model 81, #21 showed up for sale on gunbroker.

Jack, I know you have a Model 81 (#25) in 25 Rem. I think any two digit Model 8, 81 or FN 1900 is a great find, but having two "consecutively numbered" two digit rifle's, would make a fine addition to anyone's collection. Maybe we should have a talk Jack... Is #25 for sale????

If not, maybe Cam will find #23 for me and #26 for you Jack. Okay Cam...It's time to go to work again! LOL

Jim & Cam, Thanks again for all of the help along the way gentleman. I sure do appreciate it!
Attachments
Here's #24
Here's #24
IMG_3373 - Copy.JPG (52.27 KiB) Viewed 12422 times
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Bob,

You are correct in saying that I mis-read your post. :oops: I indeed thought it was a model 8.

I agree that we need to up the pressure on Cameron to find us some more toys. He does do quite well in my opinion and I appreciate his help. :D

I don't think I want to part with the 81 #25 at this time. It isn't so much the low serial number as it is the .25 caliber that makes it worth hanging on to. It is just a weird coincidence that the serial number and the caliber happened to be the same. That being said, if you decide that you don't want the 81 #24 because there is a lower serial number out there, just let me know. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kindest Regards,

Jack
S and S HUNTCLUB

Jack, I knew that you wouldn't part with #25 and rightfully so sir. The idea of having two "consecutive numbered" two digit serial number Model 81's does spark my interest though. As you know Jack, I have been known to let em' go in the past. Maybe Cam can find #23 for me??? I am pursuing some other endeavors right now and the rifle budget is on hold for the short term, but if Cam can find #23 , you can count me in! :D

If that did happen Jack, we could maybe work a deal & you could then have..." three consecutive numbered " Model 81's in your collection. ;)

81police

Post by 81police »

Y'all just be thankful I'm a young married man saving for a house, otherwise these sweet "finds" might have never been whispered! :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Cam,

If you find 81 #23, who you gonna call? The heat is on. Jack wants the trifecta.

I just want the two shotguns. My house is paid for.

Jim