just what's this guy planning here? (shorty 8)

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Adam Lee

just what's this guy planning here? (shorty 8)

Post by Adam Lee »

Man,

it's been interesting jumping back into the 6th grade new school term after my kick-butt QUAD-4 hernia repair "episode".... :lol: :twisted:

and just to show that even once I am done for the day (in more ways than one of course) I have still been keeping my ideas going for my Model 8, here's a couple mystery pics to show.

wonder what's on my mind here? lol

the barrel seems to have blue painter's tape and markings with sharpies....as does the barrel jacket....

I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Re: just what's this guy planning here? (shorty 8)

Post by 81police »

looks like a carbine project! Too cool.

Have you read up on how member 2pversters shortened the barrel jacket from the breech end on his carbines?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

81police wrote:looks like a carbine project! Too cool.

Have you read up on how member 2pversters shortened the barrel jacket from the breech end on his carbines?
that's my plan too...the tape is just basic measurements.....

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
81police

Post by 81police »

You're going to have a very cool rifle Adam. They make for a handier, and a tad bit lighter gun. Are you doing all the work yourself?

Regarding the barrel jacket patent markings...on the 8 the stampings were forward enough you shouldn't loose them after shortening the jacket (although you'll loose the rear sight holes).

On the 81's, the stampings will end right at the jacket head, on a 17" job. It's not the prettiest, but that's just the way it is.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

81police wrote:You're going to have a very cool rifle Adam. They make for a handier, and a tad bit lighter gun. Are you doing all the work yourself?

Regarding the barrel jacket patent markings...on the 8 the stampings were forward enough you shouldn't loose them after shortening the jacket (although you'll loose the rear sight holes).

On the 81's, the stampings will end right at the jacket head, on a 17" job. It's not the prettiest, but that's just the way it is.
Cam, thanks for the comments - yes, I am doing this myself - with added help from my dad and his retired machinist type friends. Inside jacket head thread cutting and barrel rethreading look like fun!

Part of the reason I have decided to go this route is due to the mismatched nature of my rifle. It has complete functionality, however the jacket is tapped with 4 holes already - and the jacket is later (20's) than the receiver.

This will be a long-term deal, and eventually should be pretty handy as you said. Right now, the 720 Savage and 520 Stevens are getting most attention since they are "all there" just about.

Adam
Headoftheholler

Post by Headoftheholler »

It is so difficult for me to turn down a new project, even when I might have 3 or 4 going at the same time.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey,

How bout an update on this project? You got us all excited wondering what you were going to do.

Regards,

jack1653
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

jack1653 wrote:Hey,

How bout an update on this project? You got us all excited wondering what you were going to do.

Regards,

jack1653
Jack,

Thanks for asking - well, the shortening aspect has been on hold; I decided to wait until I came across a decent barrel jacket and second barrel and jacket head before I would "get cutting", so to speak.
Then, I got the usual bogged-down into my job, so that didn't help. However, I tended to some other matters and quirks with the gun. Magazine feeding issues, solved them....somewhat sticky bolt release/magazine indicator, figured that out.

Took time to complete the refinishing project of the stock and repaired a split chunk of wood that came off during firing.

I have the people lined up who can help me machine the threads, folks with lathes and drill presses and such. In time!

Adam