My first.

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
freakazoid

My first.

Post by freakazoid »

Here are the pics I promised from my introduction, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3385

Small ding on the barrel jacket, can this be fixed?

Didn't come with a rear tang sight. I'm assuming that is what this screw hole is for?

Only markings on the foregrip are these, otherwise it looks great.

The inside is damaged though. When attached it also has a slight little wiggle to it. I'm assuming that is normal since it is only the one screw that holds it on?

The only easily noticeable damage on the stock is on the right side where there is a small ding where it at the part where it gets wide. Is this an original recoil pad or is this something that would of been added on later?

Small hole on the underside of the stock. Maybe for a swivel sling stud?

That's it for the pictures. Hope you enjoyed them.
81police

Re: My first.

Post by 81police »

freakazoid,

Welcome to the Great 8 site, and congrats on your first Model 8!

I was looking over the pics of your sweet rifle and noticed you have a date code & repair code. The repair code is the one that ends in "3" and it just means the rifle was returned to the factory in Feb. 1923 for unknown repairs. If I'm reading correctly the date code is "W N", which is August, 1922. Your rifle is even older that you thought :D

The hole in the back of the receiver, near the tang, is for a Lyman or Marbles tang sight.

The recoil pad is not original, but looks like it would be well appreciated when shooting!

This looks like it'll be a FUN gun to shoot ;)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed looks well used but not abused, like most of mine. I'd get some ammo and shoot it.

As to the dings, cracks and dents some like to "fix'em" I simply call them character marks. Specifically, it looks to be like the barrel sleeve/shroud dent is hardly worth messing with. But over the last month-6wks or so there has been some discussion regarding removing dents - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3343&p=11256&hilit= ... 207#p11256

Welcome, enjoy but watch out for relatives, these rifles are known to get lonely... just say'n. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
freakazoid

Post by freakazoid »

81police wrote:freakazoid,

Welcome to the Great 8 site, and congrats on your first Model 8!

I was looking over the pics of your sweet rifle and noticed you have a date code & repair code. The repair code is the one that ends in "3" and it just means the rifle was returned to the factory in Feb. 1923 for unknown repairs. If I'm reading correctly the date code is "W N", which is August, 1922. Your rifle is even older that you thought :D

The hole in the back of the receiver, near the tang, is for a Lyman or Marbles tang sight.

The recoil pad is not original, but looks like it would be well appreciated when shooting!

This looks like it'll be a FUN gun to shoot ;)
That is some good info. Thanks!

And thanks for the link imfuncity. I'm already trying to get some ammo for it. Looks like if I want to shoot it with any regularity I'm going to have to learn how to reload. :lol:
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Freak, I sell the replacement tang sight filler screws for $9.99 shipped if you need one. Tks Dennis
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

Reloading is the way to go. .32 Rem ammunition is difficult to find, as is .32 Rem brass. .30 Rem brass is often easier to find, and can be necked up to .32. And bullets should be available (.321") as it is the same diameter as used for the .32 Win Special. I don't know about the difficulty of finding .32 Rem dies, you might check the gun auction sites and eBay, but I suspect they are difficult to come by. I load .30 Rem using .30-30 dies, and if all else fails, .32 Win Special dies are probably easier to find and might work OK for .32 Rem.
freakazoid

Post by freakazoid »

rem81auto wrote:Freak, I sell the replacement tang sight filler screws for $9.99 shipped if you need one. Tks Dennis
Thanks, but I am planning on trying to find a tang sight for it.

In my quest to find ammo for it I have read that .30 Remington brass works. Didn't know what size the actual round was so that's definitely good to know.