Highly Customized 81-D

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
81police

Highly Customized 81-D

Post by 81police »

This is member jack1653's recent acquisition. I think this rifle probably has some of the nicest customizations I've ever seen on an 8 or 81. Top tier work. What do y'all think about it?
Attachments
DSC_3385.jpg
DSC_3385.jpg (49.96 KiB) Viewed 9830 times
DSC_3370.jpg
DSC_3370.jpg (117.4 KiB) Viewed 9830 times
DSC_3377.jpg
DSC_3377.jpg (92.27 KiB) Viewed 9830 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Re: Highly Customized 81-D

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

As you can see "jackiitis" has got me again. :lol: I want to thank 81police for posting the pictures for me. A great big "THANK YOU" goes to rem81auto for helping get this rifle in the stable. It took several months of tracking it down by Dennis to re-locate the rifle.

I had seen it more than two years ago and passed on it at the time. I wasn't thinking clearly I guess. Sometime between that first sighting and the acquisition, I learned that there were only 12-13 of the Model 81-D that were produced. That sparked my interest in trying to get it even though it had been altered. I appreciate the extra effort Dennis took in helping to locate the rifle and shipping it to me.

I am interested in members thoughts about the trigger and safety modification. It appears to be taken from a Browning A-5, or at least it looks like the one in my Browning. It is a first class alteration.

I am intrigued by the trigger alteration and haven't taken the gun down to see how the modification was made. The addition of the 300 Savage cartridge head to replace where the old safety lever is a nice touch.

Another nice alteration is the removable magazine. It is very close to the Krieger conversion and the gold release bar gives it a touch of class. The magazine fits tightly when in place.

As Dennis and I discussed before the purchase, the wood has been redone and the wood doesn't meet the metal as neatly as the original but the re-finish is very well done. It may not show well in the pictures, but the re-checkering is more pronounced than what would have come from the factory. It is a good without flaws, but just a little deeper than it should be.

Regards,

jack1653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Elegant :!: :!:
Nice trim, very tasteful, I noticed the jeweled bolt. Pretty. :mrgreen:

(Pardon my drool, slurp, slurp) ;)
Phyrbird
SOKY
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

And yet again, Jack comes through and Awes! us. Eye candy for sure. Really like the trigger (A5 inspired) and the shell casing ala Model 14 and 141. This should give Mattitude some ideas with his recent find. One day I`m sure he will be thinking about getting those nasty holes in the receiver filled in so why not add some nice touches.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
mattitude

Post by mattitude »

That's a beautiful rifle for sure and some aspects of it makes me envy what you have over mine. The original safety removal was cleverly done although my personal preference is for the original lever safety. I love your stock and forend and wish that I had it on my rifle. Yours looks nice and hand filling, unlike mine which is very narrow at the stock wrist (and I don't like straight stocks on rifles) and my forearm is a bit skinny for my liking. I would love to find a way to fill/plug the 2 holes that are on the left side of my receiver, but who ever did the D&T didn't do the best job as the holes are oblong and slightly cratered which makes cap or plug screws difficult to fit, and if I can find some they won't look that great. The best solution would more than likely be to weld over the holes...but that would destroy the finish which is still original. I'm kinda screwed either way.
100% disabled veteran
TSgt (ret.) USAF
5 Dec 1990-28 July 2008
AMMO IYAAYAS!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey Jack, that is one sweet m-81. I'd love to know what was done to the trigger/safety. I've done a little auto -5 service/repair work in the past,but i'm stumped as to what they may have done pics would be helpful,but I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to take it apart. Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Jack, I am glad I could help you out with this rifle. I think it found a good home. Dennis
keltg

Post by keltg »

very nicely done, and they didn't go over board on the alterations as i have seen some custom rifles are.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
81police

Post by 81police »

I just wanted to add that as far as we know, Remington only made about a dozen Model 81-D's. So this rifle is quite a treasure!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Very nice, love that safety, and magazine conversions and the stock wood, beautiful. Can't decide if wood is maple or english walnut or maybe even Oregon Myrtle, at any rate it it pure class and tops, congratulations on adding to your stable.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome back Jack. Don't know where you been hiding for a couple of months but you do like to make a grand entrance on your return! :D Can certainly understand styaing with the search to get it. Good job. Think I'll join the drooling club on this one... too! :mrgreen:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine