Low serial #

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
Vwl

Low serial #

Post by Vwl »

If this checks out, should have been manufactured in 1906, correct?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (81.05 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (95.62 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (120.77 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
keltg

Re: Low serial #

Post by keltg »

you are correct, very nice model 8 you have there, i am jealous.
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
81police

Post by 81police »

keltg is correct, 1906 on that rifle. Congrats on an early one!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

You are really fortunate to own that rifle. Just checked Henwoods model 8 book. The two lowest number rifles
he photo/ listed are serials 32 and 97 from 1906! Yours is only 9 digits higher.
A sweet lookin' piece!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Wow,what an awesome find. Where did you find that rare rifle. Auction,private sale,gunshow,gun dealer ,online? You are truly lucky no matter where it came from. My lowest serial # M-8 is in the 700 range. It came from another collector, in Utah.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Vwl

Post by Vwl »

About two years ago on a saturday morning, I went to a smallish gun show in SW Florida. An older gentleman and his wife were selling off some shotguns and rifles of an old lady friend of theirs. What caught my eye was the model 8 and a model 81. I thought what he was asking for the 81 was reasonable, $250, but i was unsure about the model 8. They both looked in good shape, but I am far from an expert. The price tag was $550 which I thought was to much. He wouldn't take less because the the old lady put a firm price on the model 8 because of the low serial number. I left but came back Sunday and it was still there. I asked again if he would take $400. He said no. Asked if he would call the old lady which he did. No answer, he said she is probably in church. So he did come down to $500, I said what the heck. Made the deal. Just wish now I would have tried to package the 8 and 81. Maybe I overpaid, maybe not. I didn't care because I have a cool rifle. Just cleaned it up a bit and put it away for awhile. About 3 months ago I took it to a gunsmith to clean it up better and check the springs to see if everything was ok to shoot it. He broke his tool trying to take of the barrel cap and didn't want to try more aggressive tactics to remove it. He didn't want to hurt the rifle. It is probably fine to shoot, but I haven't tried yet. Maybe I'll try someone else to see if they can take the barrel apart and check the springs. Or maybe I'll just take it out sometime and shoot it.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

It looks to be like you did well. You might want to push the barrel in to make sure it functions (won't go far, pretty stout springs inside) as well as do your other function tests, then if it was me I'd shoot it. I have and have had several, from 1907-1949, shot everyone before I had a made a tool to take them down.
Enjoy
(Agree, you should have taken the other one also... gotta love that 20-20 hindsight. ;) )
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine