Pics of whats coming

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
keltg

Pics of whats coming

Post by keltg »

Figured i would move over to the pictures to post what i received for pictures of the Remington Model 8 that i recently purchased. I own and operate a small gunsmiths shop in a small town in Southern Manitoba, I do have to admit i am not a Remington fan normally, I am a die hard Browning fan though, and the Model 8 is a fine sample of Browning's genius. Well below shows i have a jigsaw puzzle to play with but thanks to this forum and the information that has already been shared i don't think the task will be too bad.
Attachments
M8 small parts bag.jpg
M8 small parts bag.jpg (47.82 KiB) Viewed 16354 times
My new Rem. M8 in pieces.jpg
My new Rem. M8 in pieces.jpg (45.41 KiB) Viewed 16354 times
Smile makes others wonder what you are up to
81police

Re: Pics of whats coming

Post by 81police »

I'm jealous, that build/assembly looks like fun! Post any questions you may have here. And now that we have the "before" pictures please show us the "after" when it's all done. :)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
keltg

Post by keltg »

Well the Model 8 has arrived, went through all the parts and did a trial reassembly to make sure all the parts where in deed there. Have confirmed that i do have all the pieces. The bolt and bolt carrier aren't functioning properly , so i did a complete tear down of the carrier to find a heavily soldered firing pin (FP) that is bent and twisted...and that the FP springs are not there. since i had the carrier all apart i spent the better part of this evening polishing and cleaning the receiver and carrier. Now its a big decision should i jewel the bolt carrier or not?? thinking it would look pretty sharp against the deep blue black of a hot salts bluing that is in store for the old girl. already have new wood that just needs some minor inletting. I also have a spare barrel in 35 REM. and a spare magazine box. But all numbers on the original parts are matching 16002B. Ant one with their ideas of jeweling the bolt carrier?
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir, I am curious about your extra 35 Cal. barrel. Is there any chance that you might be selling it? If so, I might be interested in it. Please feel free to email me if you would like to discuss it.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
keltg

Post by keltg »

just a few pics of the parts and pieces as they are out of the bag. i have the bolt carrier tore down further now than when i received it.
Attachments
DSC_0032A.jpg
DSC_0032A.jpg (110.46 KiB) Viewed 16277 times
The Bolt Carrier in pieces
The Bolt Carrier in pieces
DSC_0030A.jpg (150.84 KiB) Viewed 16277 times
The Receiver and its parts
The Receiver and its parts
DSC_0029A.jpg (136.77 KiB) Viewed 16277 times
81police

Post by 81police »

lookin good!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

IMO since staying "original" is not the intent (practical) and based on everything else you will be doing, jeweled bolt would indeed look great - can't wait to see the pixs when you are done. :)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ranman

Post by ranman »

Looks like a bag full of fun. The sky is the limit with a rebuild and it would be a great shooter for many hunting seasons. It is always nice to have a rifle that is not run of the mill. I say go for it, but remember pics, pics and more pictures are alway required. :lol:
keltg

Post by keltg »

as requested more pics, got the bolt carrier jeweled and i am thinking it turned out pretty sweet. i reassembled the bolt for pics got the firing pin filed and sanded so it actually slides again in the carrier, now i have to re-harden and temper it so it wont mushroom anymore. well below are the pics. let me know what you think.
Attachments
DSC_0039.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg (96.01 KiB) Viewed 16222 times
DSC_0038.jpg
DSC_0038.jpg (119.85 KiB) Viewed 16222 times
DSC_0037.jpg
DSC_0037.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 16222 times
Roger

Post by Roger »

The bolt looks fantastic to me. I know that the jeweling of the bolt,was offered by Winchester,as an extra cost option. I don't know about Remington. But yours looks so good that I wouldn't care,if I were you. Maybe some day I might be able to get one done for one of my rifles. If I was so inclined ,could you email me an estimateplease ?
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

it's coming along!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
keltg

Post by keltg »

hope to have it ready for hunting season this year. just sticking it in between others as they come in. also in the process of moving locations for my shop.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

VERY fine, I like. If you are interested in doing this for others let us know.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
keltg

Post by keltg »

now that i have the jeweling jig modified to do the bolt carriers i would be more than happy to jewel others. PM me if you are interested or email at keltg20@gmail.com i am in Canada but parts haven't been an issue to cross the border yet.
keltg

Post by keltg »

here is the matching safety lever jeweled it as well to match the bolt. once i get my hot salts tank online i will be bluing the receiver and add some photos of the receiver with the bolt and safety installed. thinking it should all look pretty good together.
Attachments
DSC_0045.jpg
DSC_0045.jpg (79.8 KiB) Viewed 16154 times
DSC_0044.jpg
DSC_0044.jpg (66.59 KiB) Viewed 16154 times
DSC_0043.jpg
DSC_0043.jpg (118.74 KiB) Viewed 16154 times
TMB

Post by TMB »

So far looks like it's going to be nice. I see one of the stocks looks broken at bottom did it break butt plate?
keltg

Post by keltg »

yes the butt plate is broken at the toe. I have a couple butt plates around just haven't gotten around to seeing if i have a matching Remington one. If i don't have a Remington butt plate here then the search will begin for one. i have noticed some of the model 8's had a steel butt plate and might look into trying to dig one of those up or making one.
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice indeed, looks great. 8-)
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
keltg

Post by keltg »

Well i managed to sneak my receiver into the bluing tank after i got a customers barrel and action done. i think it turned out not to bad. heres some pics of what it looks like with the bolt carrier and safety in place.
Attachments
DSC_0054.jpg
DSC_0054.jpg (137.27 KiB) Viewed 16070 times
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg (143.26 KiB) Viewed 16070 times
DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg (120.98 KiB) Viewed 16070 times
Pitchy

Post by Pitchy »

Now that`s going to be pretty dern cool. 8-)
A lot of water under the bridge good and bad,
Bad when i did it my way, Good when i did it Gods way.

USAF-72-76
keltg

Post by keltg »

Pitchy wrote:Now that`s going to be pretty dern cool. 8-)
Thanks Pitchy, now i got the receiver done and reassembled, I am onto the barrel end of things. Pretty sure i will be hunting this whitetail season with the old girl. looking for a tang peep for it.
keltg

Post by keltg »

Its taken a while, had to get a couple of other projects out of the shop before i got back to this one. Well here a couple of photos of my Model 8 with just the final fitting of the stock left.
Attachments
DSC_0068.jpg
DSC_0068.jpg (165.06 KiB) Viewed 15927 times
DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0067.jpg (180.29 KiB) Viewed 15927 times