Model 8 grade 5 stock restore complete

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
WesF

Model 8 grade 5 stock restore complete

Post by WesF »

Many of you saw my initial posts on this project, but if you'd like to compare from start to finish you can see the other post here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=750

So, the checkering is complete and I think the gun is as restored as I'm going to make it. I did not do the checkering myself. It was done be a talented local artist. Here are the pics :)

I know the pattern is not original to the model 8, but gave the checkerer liscense to play with it and this is what he came up with. I am very pleased with the results.
Rem8&81

Re: Model 8 grade 5 stock restore complete

Post by Rem8&81 »

WesF, The wood on the rifle sure looks great. Yes, the checkering is not the original pattern, but the gun was never going to be original anyways, so why not do what you want. The artist did a great job, certainly more elaborate than factory patterns. I'm glad the old girl got saved and prettied up.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
WesF

Post by WesF »

Yeah Rem, that was my feelings on it as well. I let my checkerer do what he wanted with it since it's not the original stock. He does better work if I give him free reign with design in my opinion.
81police

Post by 81police »

WesF,

You've got a fine looking rifle. :D I love the checkering pattens your local artist used!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

That is some very nice work,both by you and the checkerer. I am sure you are well stisfied with it.You mentioned that you still have the original wood.As a further enhancement (value wise) there are people that can do amazing things with broken and abused stocks.Hold on to that wood and perhaps in the future investigate having it restored.Do a search under gunstock restoration.Couple of those sites have some amazing before and after photos of their work. I appreciate you posting the photos of yours. The checkering pattern is unique and has given me some ideas on a 99 stock that I`m about to tackle.You certainly have one to be proud of.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Click LIKE - Big time. Great job. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Roger

Post by Roger »

Great job! I'm sure glad you brought her back to life. Your woodworking skills are sure good as are your artist's checkering skills.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com