Jack hits the JACKpot (again) - Police 8 & 81's

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
81police

Jack hits the JACKpot (again) - Police 8 & 81's

Post by 81police »

Jack wanted me to post a couple new entries to his collection for y'all.

One is a pristine, all original condition Peace Officers Model 8. The rifle still has most of the blueing left on the buttplate :shock: It's forearm is a really nice grain of American walnut. Caliber 35Rem.

The second rifle is a Model 81 "Special Police" property of Arkansas State Police. It's in .30Rem. This is only the 2nd Arkansas St. Police gun I've come across. Really cool.

Great finds Jack!
Attachments
Jack's Police Guns.jpg
Jack's Police Guns.jpg (361.88 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
imfuncity

Re: Jack hits the JACKpot (again) - Police 8 & 81's

Post by imfuncity »

Jack is certainly making it easy to find all of the Police 8 & 81s - his place!! Good going Jack.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

The Good Lord was looking out for me on these two Police Models. ;) I had to let Cameron do the posting since I could not get them in his hands. :) I sent Cam a whole bunch of pictures and told him he could post what ever he wanted.

I am still learning about the Police Models and I call on Cameron more than I should to get advice. I would not have any of the Police Models if it weren't for him helping to point out what I should be looking for in each rifle. Each rifle has it's own oddities and while very similar they are each different.

These rifles arrived wihin 24 hours of each other from two different areas of the country. :o I had learned of one last January and the other about 60 days ago. Patience paid off and both of the guys were gentleman and provided pictures to allow me to make an assessment. Like I stated above, I sent pictures to Cameron to have him assist in the analysis.

The nice thing about getting information from Cam is that he lets very little get by his critical eyes. The only thing he won't do is give me a price to offer. He tells me "You are on your own" and conversely, I don't tell him what I had to pay. :o

The Model 8 .35 in these pictures is as good as they can get. It is darn near perfect and after I wiped it down, it will pass for 98%. The wood is unusually pretty for these rifles. It would pass for a B or C grade. The magazine is not numbered to the rifle but that is not unusual according to Cam.

The Model 81 .30 is very good, but had shown some use. The wood show some dents and the finish shows some flaking but no major damage. The magazine is serial numbered to the rifle. The pictures I sent to Cam included some oddities that I hadn't seen on other Police Models. It appears the magazine was originally a .35 and had been sent back to the factory for an alteration to make it a .30. The picture I sent to Cam showed the overstamp and if you tilt it just right in the light, you can faintly see the "5". In talking with Pete VerScneider, he indicated that it is a very simple adjustment to the "ears" on the magazine to make the magazine fit the .30.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Oh my or uffda.

Perhaps I should take that overstamped one off your hands - probably won't fit into your nice collection. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
d-2

Post by d-2 »

I just noticed this. I retired from the Arkansas State Police in 06. If you ever decide to sell it please let me know. I have a model 66 with the ASP logo and Sig 229 with the ASP logo. That would be nice to have...d2