A Pistol Gripped Model 8 ...

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
rem81auto

A Pistol Gripped Model 8 ...

Post by rem81auto »

Got this 35 Rem Model 8 with pistol grip awhile back and thought I would share some pics. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I have yet to even see a PG Mod 8 at a show for sale. I got this one the hard way @ auction .... are they that seldom encountered from your experience ????. Dennis
jack1653

Re: A Pistol Gripped Model 8 ...

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Denis,

You have picked up another beauty with this rifle. The ole round knob pistol grip with the high cheeks are hard to come by and to find one in the condition you have is, I think, an excellent buy. If you want a real challenge try and get a "set" of these in each of the calibers. Very, very hard to do. As I understand from some of the other guys, Remington would offer these as custom orders. I do not have any information on how many they made.
You will see more of these without the high cheeks and they are equally hard to find.

I went kind of nutso a while back with the "jackitis" and was buying any that I could find. I was wanting to finish the collection off with one each of the round knob pistol grip and I have done that. I was even able to get them in the hard to find 25-35 and the 30-30. I have found they tend to bring higher prices so I guess from that you can assume they are harder to find and therefore cost more.

I have finally found one for my friend, Pete, in the .35 and he had been looking for a long time. Are you aware that there are some of the later model 8's that have the pistol grip which looks a lot like the model 81? I have several of these also and I like the look of them.

Congratulations on your acquisition!

Jack
rem81auto

Post by rem81auto »

Great info, tks for responding Jack. I am aware of the 1/2 grips and have yet to see one of those at a show either. I do have a C Grade Mod 8 1/2 grip already. Dennis
81police

Post by 81police »

I've never seen one at a gun show Dennis, but you know as I do they come up on gun auctions occasionally. I don't know if they're rare, but they're certainly not as common as the straight grip. I'd agree with Jack, seeing them like yours with the sharp cheeks is what's uncommon indeed. Real pretty rifle.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator