Model 81 in 300 Savage

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
kenhwind

Model 81 in 300 Savage

Post by kenhwind »

OK, here's the pictures of the Model 81 my Brother and I found at a gun show;
This is the front sight that was vandalized.
Right side profile view
The left side showing more vandalization. Four plug screws for a scope mount. We found the Lyman tang/receiver sight on Guns International for $65, and I found the sight block at Numrich Arms for $8.05 and bought it on a whim and the hole spacing was correct. Had to do some fitting to the barrel jacket.
Left profile
We paid $350.00 for this Model 81, it had the original rear sight on it, I changed the sights. Compared to Gun Broker prices "We be happy"
KEN
imfuncity

Re: Model 81 in 300 Savage

Post by imfuncity »

And indeed you should be "you done good".

Also, if you should decide to remount a scope, the hole pattern looks to be a relatively common one - a bit easier to find then most.

Plus, very often the barrel nut is damaged and I would have expected this one to to be looking, noticing the beating the front sight took. But from my house, it looks like that barrel nut has never been off, at least not recently, and if it was taken off it was taken off correctly!! A very good thing.

Enjoy
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine