WTB: .25 Rem buffer spring and spacer washer

Items wanted
cantgrowup

WTB: .25 Rem buffer spring and spacer washer

Post by cantgrowup »

I badly need a .25 Rem buffer spring and spacer washer(s) because this is what I found in my .25-35 Rem barrel assembly.

WILLING TO PAY $150 FOR THE SPRING AND WASHER(S).

I can also throw in one of my famous barrel assembly tool if that will help someone part with these rare buffer springs.

Please write me at cantgrowup@hotmail.com
Hibby83

Re: WTB: .25 Rem buffer spring and spacer washer

Post by Hibby83 »

I'll keep a keen eye out for you!

I notice that your plug may be partially going through the brazed in stopper " inside the shroud". I believe that the wood is possibly wedging itself there, is that possible with the lock washer? Where did the washer sit when you disassembled the assembly?

One thing i see that could help if you don't find one in a timely fashion. Making a new wooden plug to the correct dimensions, getting those from others or using your own.

Good luck.
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

I see what you mean, but the picture is a bit deceiving. This is the same order that they came out of the shroud. The wooden plug looks deformed on the washer side in the picture. However, the split washer fits perfectly on the end of the wood plug and both are the same OD as the shroud ID. I made sure that when I reinserted it in the shroud, the washer and buffer seated up against the brazed ring inside the shroud and I placed the recoil spring cup and spring against it vertically so that it wouldn't shift. If I can't find a metal buffer spring, I will probably make a new wood buffer a tad longer than this one. I could tell that the buffer had been "shortened" by recoil action over the past century (there was "sawdust" inside the shroud when I took it apart).
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Hey CGU', I posted in your posting in the 'Matainence' section again this time in reference to the 'spacer washer' and wooden plug also. My guess is that the guy who did the wood plug, put that washer in there so as the wood plug, buffer spring 'wanna-be' would hold up to the recoil as without the spacer, the shelf/ring that the real spring sits on wouldn't be enough to hold the wood plug as it would be getting alot of battering from the recoil.

IMO making another would be a waste of time and effort as Browning used a heavy metal spring for a reason and trying to get by with a wooden plug replacement may lead to further 'heartache and sorrows', not to mention poor reliability and working of the action. I'll check some of the 6-7 sites I've found over the last few years that stock 8/81 parts off and on and hopefully might stumble on a 25 caliber buffer spring for ya.

Note::::: There is a gun repair shop around 25 miles from me, the guy that runs it works mostly on older firearms from a-z and is a wealth of knowledge in where to get parts, some from outfits that aren't on the web. He's done some repair for me in the past and gotten parts I had no idea where to get them. I'll give him a call this week and check with him on a 25 buffer spring and ask about 'that space washer'. He's been around firearm and their repair for years and when he ever quits it will be a sad day for area gun guys.
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Thanks Rifleman!