model 81 safety

Items wanted
Augustus

model 81 safety

Post by Augustus »

just inherited a model 81. The bolt would not open all the way when I got it. I looked online because I wanted to find out what was going on and clean it also. Found out someone had put a part in wrong, anyway everything seems to be working great except the safety. It has a screw in it which I found out came in some of the 81's safety's. The problem looks like someone may have messed with it but I am not sure since I do not have anything to compare it to. The safety swings all over and does not move the safety rocker? I would appreciate any help on this. Not sure if I need a new safety of missing parts.
If I do need a new safety anyone know where to get one?

It seems in decent shape for the age(Dec. 39) but needed a good cleaning.
Thanks
Attachments
20190324_132928.jpg
20190324_132928.jpg (85.2 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
Bandersnatch

Re: model 81 safety

Post by Bandersnatch »

There is a pin missing that fits between the safety and the safety rocker. It fits in the hole lowest in this pic, just below the large hole for the screw. You can fabricate this pin out of most anything. The pin locks the two halves of the safety together and it will work as designed.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I've used a special Loctite to hold this type of parts with great success.
This might help:

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... ed9#p11787

You will definitely need a new safety screw at least. Perhaps a new safety, note all the ones I've dealt with required the fitting mentioned in the above post. If you're not good with needle files & stones get it done by a real gunsmith please. It is called a safety.....
Phyrbird
SOKY
Augustus

Post by Augustus »

thanks for the help and info. I will give the pin a try and see if it works, if not maybe a gunsmith