Barrel for a Model 8

Items wanted
jimbobnw

Barrel for a Model 8

Post by jimbobnw »

Just checking to see if there is anything out there.

WTB: 30 Remington Barrel

I have a beautiful M8 in 30Rem that for some reason splits the base of the necks on of 16 of 20 rounds I fired through it. This was factory Remington ammo, not reloads. When I paid $3 a round for ammo, I was really hoping to get more then a single use out of the brass. I am still not sure if this is a problem with the barrel or that box of ammo.

So, I am considering buy another barrel and try that. Anyone out there have a extra 30 Remington barrel?

Ideally I would like to find just the 30 Remington barrel but I will also consider a 25 or 32, with or without the sleeve.

Thanks Guys...
Thanks,
JB
Remington Model 8, .30 Rem (1907)
curdog

Re: Barrel for a Model 8

Post by curdog »

Check the chamber dimensions with a cerrosafe cast, to see if there's anything there shouldn't be.

If the ammunition has some age on it, you'll probably have cracked necks.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
I think I may have more than one 30 rem. barrel. I'm out of town for a few days ,but will check it out when I return.
One may be a 30/30 marked barrel. But it will be pricey.
Thanks,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Sebastian21

Post by Sebastian21 »

I think there is nothing wrong with your chamber. Old ammo should have the bullets pulled, de-primed and annealed to prevent neck splits. Your brass is too hard from age. Re Anneal you cases.
jimbobnw

Post by jimbobnw »

Sebastian21 wrote:I think there is nothing wrong with your chamber. Old ammo should have the bullets pulled, de-primed and annealed to prevent neck splits. Your brass is too hard from age. Re Anneal you cases.
Sabastain is absolutely correct....

I have recently received some brass from my newest buddy "GRUMPA". He makes new 30 Remington (as well as the 25 and 32) brass from the common 30-30 brass. He's work is BEAUTIFUL. I attempted this process on my own, and after 90mins I had a rather ugly, but functional piece of brass. His brass looks like it came off the Remington assembly line. With his current price of a buck a round, you can not go wrong.

Back to the point... The brass performed perfectly. I have reloaded this brass three times now and there is no signs of splits or wear. All of my old 30 Remington ammo went up on GunBroker. With the prices of "real" 30Remington ammo in the 5 and 6 dollar price range, I am sticking with my buddy's home made brass. It is better, cheaper, and most importantly AVAILABLE....
Last edited by jimbobnw on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
JB
Remington Model 8, .30 Rem (1907)
GRUMPA

Post by GRUMPA »

Amazing how good things work when you have properly made and fresh cases isn't it?

And the name is GRUMPA
Sebastian21

Post by Sebastian21 »

I just today fired 100 rounds of 32 Remington loaded in old cases that where just annealed. Not a single split case. I do not recommend you anneal yourself. Find somebody that has the machine. They usually charge about .15 cents per case. They must be clean and polished before the anneal process.
Sebastian21

Post by Sebastian21 »

I found several people who will anneal on line. Look like 25-30 cents per case. Buy old brass at gun shows but do not fire untill annealed. Your chamber is fine, the brass is too old.
GRUMPA

Post by GRUMPA »

Well......when he got the ones from me......the gauge dimension was .010 longer than what he was using.