want to buy a fore end nut

Items wanted
Forty Rod

want to buy a fore end nut

Post by Forty Rod »

Looking for fore end escutcheon / nut for a model 8.

I'm restocking my dad's .35 but want to keep the original wood as well.
jack1653

Re: want to buy a fore end nut

Post by jack1653 »

You might send an email to Remcrazy at circlebranch@cox.net. I know that he was offering some Model 8 forearm screws on Gun Broker.

Regards,

jack1653
Forty Rod

Post by Forty Rod »

Thank you, sir. I'll do that.
Forty Rod

Post by Forty Rod »

Bob's Gun Parts let me down for replacement stocks, so I'm adding a different request: I'll consider buying a very good straight grip butt stock with butt plate for an 8 and will take a complete matching forearm if available.

gun.slick@juno.com
Forty Rod

Post by Forty Rod »

BTT for some help.
Forty Rod

Post by Forty Rod »

Got stocks from Silver Hill Holding. They look pretty good but I have some work to do to make 'em pretty.

Does anyone know where I can get a simple old fashioned sling swivel (no QD or plastic) for a 3/4" wide sling?

OR a 1" swivel to replace the front one on the take=down stock screw.
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

Forty Rod, If I am reading your post correctly, you are wanting to replace the forearm screw with a wider one to accommodate a wider sling. If this is correct, please let me caution you. First, the factory forearm screw was never intended to accommodate a sling, although it may look like it and others certainly have tried over the years. It simply has that look about it for the functional purpose of giving you something to hold onto in order to allow you to unscrew it without a tool. As you know, these rifles are take downs, which were intended in their day to allow the owner to take them on the trains and in their backpacks broken down and assemble them in the field without the use of tools. If you have a later model 8, it might have a screw hole in the barrel shroud in front of the forearm which was placed there for a special sling swivel to be added to the rifle. Early model 8’s with no hole and with their streamline thin forearms make for lousy rifles to mount a swivel. There is no place to go. I have seen a lot of cracked and damaged forearms on model 8’s where guys tried to mount a swivel in the thin wood of the forearm. Most have to hack down the length of the swivel screw because there just isn’t enough meat there to fully sink them. Then they have the possibility of pulling out under heavy pull or damage the wood. If you really feel you need a sling and your 8 is one without the barrel hole, I might recommend one of those sling swivel assemblies which fit around the barrels and tighten down so as to not damage the wood. I’ve seen them on 8’s and 81’s, but don’t know where to get them. No easy solution. Good luck
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]