Stith mount wanted *FOUND!*

Items wanted
Packmule

Stith mount wanted *FOUND!*

Post by Packmule »

ok guys looking for a stith mount, any will do 7/8" or 1" if you have one let me know. I need one to finsh a project model 8. Thanks in advance you can email me at
remington81@sbcglobal.net
thanks again
Last edited by Packmule on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Wildgoose

Re: Stith mount wanted

Post by Wildgoose »

There is an 81 with this mount on it on GB right now. Of course it is not for sale with out the rifle but at least I now know what a Stith mount is and looks like. Very diffrent approach indeed! I have seen two other rifles that were tapped for this type of mount and had wondered juat what the holes were there for. I supposed they were some type of scope mount but could not figure out just how it would have looked. Now I know.
DWalt

Re: Stith mount wanted

Post by DWalt »

Sure is a lot of interest in Stith mounts. Someone could make money in restarting manufacture. I had a Model 70 with a Stith mount long ago. All of the mounts I have seen were on Savage 99s and Winchester 70s. They were made here in San Antonio in the 1940s and 1950s. I have read Stith's factory was in the basement of an office building in downtown San Antonio. I've seen several references to that effect in the local newspaper, but don't know if it is true. I've read that the Stith company also made parts for aircraft bombsights and sniper rifle scope mounts for the USMC during WWII.

I've seen Stith mounts for sale at garage sales and gun shows, but not within the last 15 years. I should have bought them.
Packmule

Re: Stith mount wanted *FOUND!*

Post by Packmule »

found one today from a year old post on another gun forum........thanks all that replied

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
gschroeder1950

Post by gschroeder1950 »

I am looking for a Stith mount also. I have a Model 81 in .35 Rem. on it's way to me and it has been already drilled for a mount. Someone told me that the holes look like they were drilled for a Stith mount. I have attached a photo showing the drilled holes. If that is what type of mount iit is, could anyone help me with finding one? Thanks, Gary
Remington Model 81 Woodsmaster .35 Rem.jpg
Remington Model 81 Woodsmaster .35 Rem.jpg (21.32 KiB) Viewed 6204 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome to the forum.

Indeed you have the Stith "5 holer" 2 piece mount set up - that is what I started with which got me hooked up with these guys a few years ago. I have accumulated some Stith mount pieces but ended up with only one that actually works. :( - Need 3 for my rifles.

The piece that replaces the rear sight on the barrel needs to match the vertical piece with the 5 holes (to make the scope level with the barrel) and they both need to be 3/4", 7/8", or 1". Take it from me, if the barrel piece is for a Savage 99, Rem 700, etc. it is not going to be the correct height for the 8/81. And, nope, there are NO markings on either piece to help us out. It is strictly trial and error or get a matched set off of another 8/81.

They do show up occasionally on fleaBay. But, it has been suggested that the best place to look is in old gunshops, just ask for the box of mounts under the counter, that they've been kicking around for the last 50 years. (I'm still looking for THAT box - two shops told me they pitched THAT box several years ago!! :cry: )

On the positive side, it is a great excuse to go into gunshops in your travels and you can always mention to the other half, "It is necessary to improve on OUR investment for YOUR future, Honey." (Let me know if it works for you. :oops: )
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
gschroeder1950

Post by gschroeder1950 »

Thanks, I will keep looking.