1930 Model 8

Items wanted
jack1653

1930 Model 8

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Guys,

I was checking my collection today against my computer records and found that I had made a transcription error of the serial number. :shock: How do you fix stupid? Just a little mix up in my typing skills has left a void in my goal of having one rifle for each year the Model 8 was manufactured. I thought I finally had one for each year when I recently acquired the 1933. WRONG!! It is sure frustrating to make this kind of error. :( Just part of the process of getting older.

I need a 1930 in any caliber with a serial number between 61648-64024 and the barrel code ending in "Y". I would be willing to consider a trade if someone has one or just an outright purchase. The rifle should be in good condition (90%) or better and function correctly.

Mitch, I need you to be on the hunt again to help me find this one. I guess I can kind of put you as the cause or better yet the reason I found the error. If I hadn't been checking the barrel codes to the serial numbers, I could have over looked this error for a long time.

Thanks to your question of asking if the barrel codes matched the serial number, I am looking to find 7 additional rifles to replace those that do not match. It probably isn't necessay to replace the mis-matches, but I will over time just to make it "pure". I'll have to get you that list also. ;)

I sure hope someone out there can come through on this search. :)

Thanks guys.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Re: 1930 Model 8

Post by imfuncity »

Saw that big storm was going through your neck of the woods, should have figured you would be "trapped in your gun room"! :o Winter, cabin fever, anal,... various things come to mind while thinking of you and your collection. :shock: Kind of reminds me what it would be like if I took on such a quest - I'd probably be even worse. :oops:

Model 8 1930 coming up, "Ah, gun shows are now on my have-to-do list, Honey. See ya in the Spring." 8-)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

should have figured you would be "trapped in your gun room"!
I don't have any sympathy for Jack on that one! I'll keep my eyes out for a 1930 rifle too.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I checked, and I have two in the 61XXX range, but both are 1929 vintage.
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

I don't have any sympathy for Jack on that one!
Me either but will keep a eye out.........

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Howdy,

Thanks Rob for checking. I appreciate the effort. I am sure one will show up. I just feel so darn stupid for making the error. :o I was so proud to think that I had a model 8 for every year of manufacture and then to find out I didn't, was a big disappointment. :( Like I mentioned earlier, I had the opporunity to get two or three and passed because I thought I already had one.

I can't believe that I am not getting any sympathy from my colleagues of the Remington rifles. It truly is sad that I don't have anything else to do but admire all these marvelous rifles. :( Cam once asked me "How many is enough?" and I told him I would ket him know when I found out! Richard said he didn't have a chance of buying anything as long as I was buying and I know that isn't true. And Mitch, God love you for keeping me in line with the buying. I would have been done along time ago if Mitch didn't keep mentioning other things to consider in the collection. :lol: I know it is tough on me, but I will keep you guys in mind when I look at my 8 & 81's. ;)

I have several other objectives that I am considering. My calculations indicate that I would need an aditional 30-40 rifles to meet those objectives. By the way, do you know where I can find........ :D

Regards,

Jack
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

We do what we can to keep you "suffering" in the dog house - ah, I mean gun room. :D
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I think I have one for you and you can have it if you want. I just got it in from Gunbroker auction #206524927.
It is barrel date code DY - Sept. 1930. The serial number is 65137 which I know is not in your range, but from the John H. book on page 91 shows a receiver manufacturing date of July 1930.
I think we had a discussion on the descrepancies in the serial number dates and you decided to go with the ones on page 89.

Anyway, let me know if you want it by email and I can give you some more details. r.bowden@sbcglobal.net.

ROB