Another VERY interesting Model 8!

Items for sale or trade
81police

Another VERY interesting Model 8!

Post by 81police »

Here's a cool auction for the reasons below...

1) Gorgeous 1920 Model 8 with cheeked stock
2) FACTORY checkered "A" grades are pretty rare!
3) FACTORY rechambered rifle! Code stamp of BW2 which means a factory barrel replacement in January, 1928. Hand engraved caliber marking on top of the jacket head is over stamped to show "32 Rem". Also there is an extra "REP/RP" barrel proof on the right side of the jacket head.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/655959190
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Re: Another VERY interesting Model 8!

Post by ROBOPUMP »

It looks like this is a grade "3" or "C", not just a checkered grade "A'. John Henwood page 98 top of the page. What say you Cam?
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Jacket head over stamped with 32 Rem? This rifle should not even have a jacket head stamp or engraved caliber on the jacket head. That was done away with about 1907. This rifle was manufactured and shipped in 1920. What say you Cam?
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm sure it could be a C grade, they'd have to remove the wood to know for sure. Maybe it's the camera lighting but the wood doesn't look too spectacular, although I've seen checkered A grades with prettier grained wood than C grades (check out our Grades of the 8/81 page). Would be even sweeter if it turned out to be a C grade.

The engraved caliber is unusual for the year, but the jacket tube itself seems period correct with the stamp "MODEL 8" and the later patent marking. And when it comes to these guns I've learned to be careful about absolutes, it seems like you start to learn something then you come across a gun or document that suggests otherwise.

GORGEOUS gun!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey guys,
I'm never going to understand what drives people when it comes to auctions of any kind. Not just online gun auctions. This rifle was a factory reblue in my opinion. Also a rebarrel and restamped barrel jacket extension. It sold for almost 2500.00$ I'm just glad that I have the model 8s and 81s that I have. And I'm definitely living to regret walking away from those 2 D- grade model 8s in the Tulsa gunshow. I'll probably never see 2 of them at a gun show again. And not at the prices that they were offered to me for.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

For those with the guns already the sell prices are nice, for those just getting into them the at least the nice thing is a plain shooter M8 is reasonably priced still.

I saw ya bidding a bit there ROBOPUMP!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I guess you saw I got out quite early. Hard to believe this one brought $2475.00. I think the highest I have ever bid on an exceptional rifle was $2000.00

Happy July 4TH.

Rob
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

There is a guy trying to scam sell this on Armslist right now. He is asking $500. I am trying to get him to reply to my inquiry. He also is trying the same scam with a Marlin 1893.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

We have a Model 8-C very much like this one. It was my dad's and is a .35. I'm under the impression that ours might have been refinished but the finisg look just like this one.
Cam is correct ours is marked 8-C on the stock cuts.
KEN