GOT ONE - Redfield on a Model 8 - GOT ONE

Items for sale or trade
jimbobnw

GOT ONE - Redfield on a Model 8 - GOT ONE

Post by jimbobnw »

I had a good day at the Gun Show - I got one

I just picked up my first Model 8 in 30Rem (vintage 1907). It appears to have had a pretty descent amateur face lift some time in its past. After a complete tear down, cleaning and greasing. I was faced with the "Oh Crap" moment of how does this go back together. After a couple hours of false starts and several bandaids due to all of the sharp edges on the receiver, I got it back together and working like new. A quick trip to the range, proved it functions like champ, with the exception of floor plate of the mag sticking a bit.

Long story to get to the point, while at the range I noticed the Redfield sight is missing it's aperture. This is the first peep sight I have owned. Does anyone know exactly what/where I can get this part? Will a modern replacement fit? What size aperture is appropriate for just a fun day at the range shooting between 50 and 100 yards.
Last edited by jimbobnw on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
JB
Remington Model 8, .30 Rem (1907)
81police

Re: Redfield on a Model 8

Post by 81police »

Way to be persistent with that ole springpole! Check out this guy for apertures...

www.aperturesnmore.com
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sebastian21

Post by Sebastian21 »

I have a lot of them. I think I have that sight someplace so I will look and see what fits. I am not sure where the gun with that sight is. I will have to look.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Brownells
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
ranman

Post by ranman »

I have the same sight on my 30 rem. also missing the aperture. The Williams Foolproof receiver aperture fits and is quite common. The fit is very good but Loctite 242 may be used to make sure it stays put.