Model 8 Krieger Conversion Detachable Magazine

Items for sale or trade
Johnhalf

Model 8 Krieger Conversion Detachable Magazine

Post by Johnhalf »

Just saw a new listing on ebay for a Krieger Conversion .35 mag. Sadly the buy now price is 385.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-Model ... 33a4f7cfcd
"Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." Jeff Cooper
Adam Lee

Re: Model 8 Krieger Conversion Detachable Magazine

Post by Adam Lee »

Johnhalf wrote:Just saw a new listing on ebay for a Krieger Conversion .35 mag. Sadly the buy now price is 385.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-Model ... 33a4f7cfcd
This one is an early (pre-1910?) Model 8 magazine milled to Krieger style specs. Just in case any of you'se out there with Model 81 Kriegers were wondering - this wouldn't be the magazine for your rifle.

Observation - that's all.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

FWIW - same seller had this same mag listed on GunsAmerica auction site in January for a start price of $675.

Now, that's great if such a mag can be verified as a Krieger conversion, but just by some careful inspection of this pre-1910 or so magazine you can see just how basic it is to mill the mag body and remove the stop screw.

Unlike the POE magazines, which are completely new-made magazines, a capable gunsmith could readily clone a Krieger magazine either early style Model 8 without springs or late style Model 81 with dual springs from an existing mag.

Not sure if such a clone would be worth more than the cost of a standard mag plus the labor cost to approximate the Krieger contours, though. Especially for $675+......my 2 cents.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Adam ,
You hit that nail on the head.
Another thought, a Krieger has larger milled slots in the trigger Assy, the riveted springs may be mandatory to feed right.
Has anyone more experience with using a fixed mag in a Krieger?
My conversion has the little set screw in the trigger frame as a stop for the safety, it would have to be removed to install a mag with the safety stop screw.
Phyrbird
SOKY