Model 8A "Factory Checkered"

Items for sale or trade
81police

Model 8A "Factory Checkered"

Post by 81police »

Here's an interesting rifle for y'all to check out. I looked the gun over but have no financial interest in the firearm.

The wood checkering panels, in my opinion, are factory work but are more consistent with that of "E" grade rifles. In fact, I've got a few "E" grade examples on file from the same era that match identically to this rifle. Very cool and unique indeed!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =468080077
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
In The Ten Ring

Re: Model 8A "Factory Checkered"

Post by In The Ten Ring »

I emailed the seller on that one. He was in touch with someone from this site concerning the rifle.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas,
I'd like some members to chime in here on this rifle. I'm in the market for an A grade with checkered wood or a C grade model 8. I'm not seeing anything in these pics to make a metal reblue obvious. I'd like some other opinions if anyone here is willing to oblige. The wood may be redone,but I'm not bothered by that as much as the possibility of a reblue,which is the kiss of death,as far as I'm concerned. I've just seen this in the market place here in Iowa. Reblued guns bring only about the same price that a 50% overall gun will bring.$900.00+ seems pretty high for a refinished model 8.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Hey Roger, I noticed the seller (who seems to know his firearms well) states the blue as "refinished". This isn't always easy to tell w/out the rifle in hand, but from one of the receiver profiles it appears there is an area of possible rust, under the safety lever, which could have been blued over. But I can't tell for sure though!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thank you Cam for your prompt response. Upon further inspection of the pics posted, I would have to agree with you. It does look like there is pitting under the safety lever ,that's been blued over. The color of the bluing can be deceiving because of photo lighting,so, yes,without the gun in hand it can sure be difficult to tell. I don't want one bad enough to spend close to $1000.00 just to find out that it's reblued. Especially when the seller thinks it is. Maybe a C -grade m8 will appear at the Tulsa show. You neverknow .
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Hey Roger, I just sent you some extra pictures that I received from the seller. It is my opinion...judging by the pictures, that the metal finish is original. The pitting area under the safety lever has been touched up with a bluing pen in my opinion. You'll only see that when you're firing the rifle & if you're looking at that, then you'll most likely miss what your firing at! :lol:

I do believe that the wood has been coated at some point in the rifle's hunting history, as its in much better condition than the metal finish. Bear in mind it's a 1912 !

I think you'll be hard pressed to find another pistol grip Model 8A with grade "E" checkering though. Other than the small pieces of wood missing in the tang area and the chunk missing from the fore-end, it's a sweet looking "old work horse" that'll serve you well for many years to come.

I myself like the feel of the pistol grip Model 8's. They shoulder much better than the straight grip Model 8's with the steel butt plates too.

Good luck with it sir. Jack1653 has yet to chime in on this piece... I think he's keeping quiet on this one folks. I would not be surprised to see him "pounce on it" ! :P What do you think Jack? I know you have been gathering up more of the pistol grips when you can sir. It does have grade "E" checkering and that is a rarity in a standard Model 8A.

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Gents,
A couple of notes; I don't see a photo of the bottom tang. Could there be a extra hole to match the one in the bottom of the stock? Where the tang covers.
Further I don't see a photo of the Ser# on the bottom in front of the mag, or the Ser# on the left side of the tang under the wood. I'd be interested if they match for that kind of cash.
The butt plate looks thicker than factory.
It may be a Pre-model 8, in that the logo stamping is missing from the left side.
The figure on the buttstock is pretty.
Phyrbird
SOKY
S and S HUNTCLUB

Roger, I know that you mentioned you could not open the attachments I emailed to you sir. Here's a few pictures, some of which are not listed in the auction listing.
Attachments
DSC_0663.JPG
DSC_0663.JPG (280.08 KiB) Viewed 14407 times
DSC_0091.JPG
DSC_0091.JPG (138.33 KiB) Viewed 14407 times
DSC_0054.JPG
DSC_0054.JPG (328.35 KiB) Viewed 14407 times
Last edited by S and S HUNTCLUB on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S and S HUNTCLUB

And the last two pictures...

Attachments
DSC_0674.JPG
DSC_0674.JPG (265.07 KiB) Viewed 14406 times
DSC_0667.JPG
DSC_0667.JPG (221.79 KiB) Viewed 14406 times
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the additional pictures. I agree with your comments about the checkering. I don't think the wood is of the same quality that you typically see on the "E" grades but the checkering is. I do think that the extra screw in the tang is not common and you do not see them very often. I have two of them and one came from you. The temptation to "pounce" is there but I am trying to control the pocketbook since the Tulsa Gun show is coming up. :roll: Decisions, decisions, decisions. :lol: :lol:

Regards,

jacki653
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Jack be careful the temptation could go Viral :!: :!:
:D
Phyrbird
SOKY
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas,
I have to agree with Jack on the extra screw in the bottom tang. I own 8 round knob pistol grip model 8 s,and only one of them has the extra screw. I think we may have covered that subject before on this forum. Bob,I think your assessment of the pitting under the safety lever is probably correct too. The bluing color and metal's overall appearance look correct,but once again,photo lighting can change the colors. I'm with Jack on the Tulsa Guns how coming up.I'm also trying to save up for that event. However, I have chased down ghosts at many a gunshow and this rifle is right there before all of us. A C-grade model 8(which is what I really want) may just present itself at Tulsa,but it just as easily may not.I guess I have alot of thinking to do about this one.
Thank you to everyone weighing in on this one
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Don't expect to see a lot of Remington 8 and 81s at Tulsa. There will, however, be more Winchester 73s
at the show than Winchester made. And more Colt SAAs than Colt made.
In The Ten Ring

I thought about it and was a bit dismayed when I saw it on here but it goes both ways. People have posted ebay finds for me on here and I appreciated it.

My first gun forum (Parallax Bill's Curio and Relics Forum) had strict rules about posting current auctions and that got programmed into me.

I just got in a couple of minutes ago and it was relisted. I think it's over-priced and apparently I'm not alone.
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

There has been an inordinate amount of onsite discussion over the past week regarding this rifle with the checkered past.
Especially since some participants in this have apparently deemed it to be too expensive. Perhaps so.

To buy or not to buy? That is the question, posed I believe, by Willie Shakespeare of the Shakespeare Fishing Tackle
Company, when considering a sporting item for purchase.

Go ahead "S and S Bob." Buy it. Enjoy Life. There IS a three day inspection period.

When it is gone, the other discussants can print the pictures and show them to associates, all the while lamenting their
decision to pass on it and pining until the next one presents itself.

I personally derive a degree of satisfaction in owning certain things that few others do (old rare collectible firearms mostly).
I can either spend my money or give it to my kids. Even being in their forties, they could go through it. Instead, they will
get the guns.

What scope is best for a POE rifle?
In The Ten Ring

"inordinate amount of discussion"....yes...this site is a bit reserved when it comes to posting. :lol:

Jim, you didn't bid on that rifle because...... :lol:

When I first saw this rifle for sale I nearly did a cartwheel. I emailed the seller and got the information he promises on the ad to send. I was dismayed when I saw it talked about here because I thought "now those guys are going to outbid me!" However, as I calmed down and got hold of myself, I realized that I just need to save my money. I have already bought 4 C&R weapons since December and I need to save at this point.

Now, if the seller would have started the bidding off at zero I'll bet it would have sold yesterday for a lot more than it's not selling for now. I think the price is fair (and told the seller so) but that's how it goes.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Jim,
Somewhere on the site is photos of a picatinny rail mounted on the rear sight screws. On the rail is a holographic sight.
It's got to be one of the coolest adaptations for optics mounting I've seen for these rifles. NO Drill. Plus the physics of the recoil action is transmitted less to the barrel sleeve. The barrel and bolt do the recoiling, therefore the G's are less, mounted optics have less shock on these rifles than almost any other on the market.
I personally like the Griffin and Howe mount or the Pachmayr swing over. They are built like bank vaults. Of course they require drilling holes. Many of the purists here Do Not like extra holes.
By the way wanna trade for the POE? Got some stuff!!
Phyrbird
SOKY
In The Ten Ring

I was talking with somebody that wanted to do a picatanny rail on the rear sight holes......I just have to have back up irons though.......
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

After reading the subsequent response to my previous post, perhaps I should have used the word "excessive" in lieu of
"inordinate."

I did not bid on the checkered rifle because I have no interest in owning a standard configuration Model 8 or 81.

The notion of a scope on a POE rifle is absurd. That was a satirical offering directed at my "avid hunter" kids who have
been cautioned that scoping would not be prudent.

And I thought Picatinny was a borough in Pennsylvania that had those burrowing marmots.

So Phirbird (or Phyrbird, which is it?), I think I'll just hang on to the 8 and 81 Police Guns. My Remington interest
encompasses only them (along with the 11 and 31), and the FBI rifle. Keep looking though ... they're out there.
You just have to beat Jack to them.
In The Ten Ring

If I had not of bought so many this year already, I'd probably bid on it.