Willliams SM 81 scope mount

Items for sale or trade
tjmga62

Willliams SM 81 scope mount

Post by tjmga62 »

I have a Williams SM 81 scope mount to fit models 8 & 81. It is in very good condition with all mounting screws. Would anyone know a fair value for this mount. I would like it to go to someone that will use it, not someone to resell. If this is not the best place for this question feel free to move it.
Thanks to everyone in advance.
tj
Sarge756

Re: Willliams SM 81 scope mount

Post by Sarge756 »

If you do a search on Bing,Google ,etc you will see a listing on GB that just sold for a tidy sum after being relisted for a couple months. Is that a fair market value? I don`t know ,maybe so but with some reservation. Many folks have the desire to put a scope on these old rifles but are hesitate to drill holes in a collectable arm to do it. I would think that the guy that would be in the market for your mount would be someone that owned an 8/81 that had already been drilled for this particular mount and it was missing. This was an inexpensive mount when produced and was never as desirable as say the quality Stith or Griffin & Howe mounts, but with a rifle that had already been drilled it would be a way to cover the nasty holes and be able to mount a scope.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
S and S HUNTCLUB

Post by S and S HUNTCLUB »

Great advise Joe. I would agree with Joe regarding installing a scope mount on a Model 8 or 81, that was not already drilled and tapped for a particular scope mount. I myself actually prefer to hunt with a Model 8 or 81 that has a scope.

To answer your question tjmga62, The vintage scope mounts & all the Remington Model 8 & 81 accessories for that matter, are becoming a lot harder to find and in turn, they demand a pretty substantial price at auction. Especially for the buyer that has been searching for a particular scope mount to match up to their existing holes on their Remington Model 8's & 81's.

Condition certainly plays a part in the final selling price, as well as scope ring styles & size (7/8" or 1"). Just like Joe mentioned, the Stith mounts or the Griffin & Howe mounts usually demand a higher premium, than a Williams SM 81 side scope mount.

Regarding the value of a Williams SM 81 scope mount with mounting screws & scope rings. The value can very anywhere from $125.00 to $200.00 +, depending on whether they are Used or New Old Stock items in my opinion. The vintage Stith and Griffin & Howe mounts, can skyrocket well above a Williams mount.

Here's a Williams SM 81 mount that we sold a while back for $164.00. The link below will not last forever, as GunBroker.com will clear the sold item from their system in do time.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =460384322

We have sold others in the past, where as the selling price was much higher at auction. It all depends on the condition of the item being sold and how many bidders are wanting the particular scope mount that is being offered. Sometimes we are amazed at the final selling price of a vintage part or the accessory for the Remington Model 8's & 81's. They will only continue to increase in value over time!

The vintage accessories are just that... "Vintage Accessories" and they're not produced anymore.

Collector's & hunting enthusiast will pay a premium for a vintage accessory that they sincerely need or have been searching after for a long time.

Enjoy Life, Bob @ S and S HUNTCLUB
tjmga62

Post by tjmga62 »

Sarge & S & S,

Thank you for the information. I really like these old Browning designed 81's. Of all the guns I have held or shot the 81 comes to target the fastest for me. It's truly like a fine shotgun. I acquired this to put on an 81 I had that was drilled & tapped for this sight but after shooting the gun I never mounted it and installed plug screws. I have reached a point where I have to thin the heard some and felt that maybe by selling some accessories I can ease my way into selling some of the 81's.

After hearing your comments I think I will ask $140.00 plus actual shipping (about $6.00). The sight has been previously mounted and does not have box or papers. It is in excellent shape. See attached pictures. Any questions just ask. If no interest I will try eBay, GB and other sites.

Thanks,
tj
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

"Thin the herd....?"

Do you happen to have a Weaver T8 mount? I need one for my 1906 that has been previously drilled.
tjmga62

Post by tjmga62 »

Ten Ring
Sorry but I don't have this mount.
tj
In The Ten Ring

Post by In The Ten Ring »

No worries man but could you keep your eyes open for me?
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

tjmga62 wrote:Sarge & S & S,

Thank you for the information. I really like these old Browning designed 81's. Of all the guns I have held or shot the 81 comes to target the fastest for me. It's truly like a fine shotgun. I acquired this to put on an 81 I had that was drilled & tapped for this sight but after shooting the gun I never mounted it and installed plug screws. I have reached a point where I have to thin the heard some and felt that maybe by selling some accessories I can ease my way into selling some of the 81's.

After hearing your comments I think I will ask $140.00 plus actual shipping (about $6.00). The sight has been previously mounted and does not have box or papers. It is in excellent shape. See attached pictures. Any questions just ask. If no interest I will try eBay, GB and other sites.

Thanks,
tj
Do you still have this Williams scope mount?
tjmga62

Post by tjmga62 »

Chas,
Yes, I still have the Williams mount.
tj
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

Redfield sight.jpg
Tj,

Can you load a picture of the scope mount as I cannot find them in your posts.
I have a vintage M8 or 81 Redfield receiver site that I would be willing to swap for this Williams SM81 scope mount.
Picture is attached.
tjmga62

Post by tjmga62 »

Chas,
Thanks for your offer but I am going to be cleaning out some of my guns and won't need the sight.
tjmga62

Post by tjmga62 »

Chas,
Having difficulty posting pictures. Says file is too big. Posted first time. ?????
tj
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Chas sent you a PM...
Phyrbird
SOKY
tjmga62

Post by tjmga62 »

Chas, 10 ring.
attached are photos of the mount. Sorry it's taken so long.
Attachments
M 81 sight 1.jpg
M 81 sight 1.jpg (518.49 KiB) Viewed 12137 times