Post by Phyrbird »

If I had the extra cash flow I'd be on it like stink on a skunk. :mrgreen:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Roger

Re: Too drool For Grade F

Post by Roger »

Hey fellas,
This is one beautiful model 8! The Rock Island auction is quite a massive operation. They've been selling quality pieces for a long time now. They are located only 3 hrs. from my hometown in Iowa. I've purchased some pieces from them back a few years ago ,but not recently. The problem with any large auction ,is that people sometimes pay ridiculously high prices for guns when they get caught up in the moment. This rifle will bring some serious money at this major auction. Hey Jack, these guys can't be too far from your new place. I wish I could go to this event but unfortunately, I'm already scheduled for that weekend. Good luck to whomever decides to bid on this great piece of remington history.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

It's an absolute shame the back of the rifle's receiver was drilled & tapped (2 extra holes) for a Williams receiver sight. And the wood to metal fit shows heavy sanding at the buttplate's heel. The description is right, you don't often see "F" grades that were actually carried & modified for field use. The guy who wagged this around surely had the finest rifle in deep camp! Very cool game scenes!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
38Rem

Post by 38Rem »

I could not see a gold oval in the stock, and the checkering did not look super-fancy. (The auction gun has fewer "points" than F-grades I have seen...it is more a > at receiver than sideways double-W, if that makes sense)

Here is what RIA answered when I asked for more info. Take it for what you think it is worth--I was hoping they would add this answer to their description.

"The Lot 3327 wood is not serial numbered to the gun. Describer noted that it is difficult to say if it is a C-Grade or F-Grade, it does not appear quite as fancy as normal, but still could be factory work."
81police

Post by 81police »

Thanks for the additional info Tom! These are good things to know when buying a high end rifle of any kind, particularly a Model 8. I actually overlooked the wood until you pointed out what you did. The checkering panels are of a factory pattern, but like you said more along the lines of a "C" grade. In fact, I looked in my file of Model 8 "E" and "F" grades and even most of the "E" grades have fancier checkering panels than this one. The wood grain also doesn't look like the premium Circassian walnut found on other "F" grades. The fact that the serial number doesn't match is more than suspect. I realize Remington would do just about anything for customers spending the bucks, but this one does seem odd w/ a different serial number wood set.

Good things to know if considering this rifle, you'd hate to lay down good money and find out you were somewhat snookered. RIA should add to the description the mismatched wood serial number.

Thanks again Tom.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator