Factory checkered Model 8

Items for sale or trade
81police

Factory checkered Model 8

Post by 81police »

Here's a cool gun I had to share. This rifle is advertised as an "A" grade. If y'all have never read our "Grades of the 8 & 81" page and wanted to know what basic factory checkering panels looks like, this is it! Even though the wood is cracked in various places, this is still a nice example of well preserved, optional factory checkering. Another unusual tidbit about this rifle is that it was made in 1909, yet still has characteristics of 1st year production guns. Specifically a barrel extension w/out caliber marking, and then a hand engraved caliber marking on the jacket head. The nice grain in the stock makes one wonder if there is a "3" stamped inside the stocks to represent a "Special Grade" (C grade) rifle? Cool gun either way.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12872822/ ... c-and-r-ok
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Re: Factory checkered Model 8

Post by Sarge756 »

Thanks Cam. I`m always looking for good close up photos of correct checkering patterns.I have one of Bob`s stocks for one of my 8`s and when the other projects allow I will finish and checker. This is just what I needed and the photos will be saved for reference.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Roger

Re: Factory checkered Model 8

Post by Roger »

Hey Cam, I tend to agree with you about the highly figured wood. My guess would be that this might be a C-grade gun.However, if this were a winchester lever gun it could have been ordered with "extra figure wood" and or checkered wood on an otherwise standard rifle. If you had the money,they would build you what ever you wanted.
But my experience with Remington's is much more limited,so I could only guess. In my humble opinion,I'd also be suspicious of that barrel jacket,which doesn't match up with serial # series of this gun. Maybe it's been replaced? Once again ,only a guess here. Either way I'd bid on it if I had enough money because these just don't come along that often.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com