VTRem35

Nice looking Model 81, 300 Savage on Armslist

Post by VTRem35 »

Just a heads up. Looks like a very nice rifle with great wood

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2786178/s ... -semi-auto
22short

Re: Nice looking Model 81, 300 Savage on Armslist

Post by 22short »

I'm new to this site and in fact new to the Model 8 and 81 but was quickly taken by how unique a firearm it is. I was at a local arms show and saw but one of these guns and it was in pretty poor condition. IS the one here you have linked to a fair price for this gun in the condition it appears to be in? I wouldn't mind owning one of these but really have no idea as to how rare they are and what they are worth. As I said I've been to a lot of gun shows over the years and do not remember seeing one until recently.

Thanks.

Shorty
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome to the forum Shorty!

Just going by pictures, I'm not sure the Armslist one is really worth all that much more than this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =414122920

I doubt the Armslist one is the original stock finish and the buttpad's not factory.
The GB one might be the original finish, but the wood might have been drilled for swivels and the bluing might be slightly poorer.

Either way the ~$200 difference is a few boxes of ammo.

As for 'value' if you're a collector then you're interested in a nice rifle in original condition with good character/story. If you want a nice gun that you'll shoot then I'd say look for something in the $400 range and see if it's something you want to invest heavily in. After that, then the sky's the limit on price. They were made for 40 years in a few grades. If you want a "rare" one then get the FN 1900 from Belgium, less than 5000 were made.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome 22short, careful what you think you want and letting your sight wander you just might find one and... it's a "natural known fact" that they are herd animals, 8s and 81s don't like to be alone. :o

Not trying to start a price-war, but just one more guys opinion - probably worth what you are paying for it. I've been "schooled" many times regarding price and for the most part we (I've) tried to stay away from it here on the 8/81 as price is a relative thing and... perhaps one should treat it like an outsider getting involved in a family (relative) squabble!!

But, throwing caution to the wind - zooming in on the Armslist rifle: the wood appears to be standing proud, has great figure for a standard rifle, and maybe the butt pad is factory plus the metal bluing looks very good (too good?) thus from where I sit it could be an original in remarkably good condition, still... one would want to verify that, the age, etc. then determine if it is in fact overpriced... or not. (If I'd remembered the info in this post, I'd have taken a look at it Saturday when I was down there - sorry not worth another 7hr drive!) Zooming in on the GB rifle, I'd also say it is original but with very standard wood and a lot of use. It would seem to me his Buy Now is about right.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine