Heads up!! Unfired 300Sav on GA

Post by Phyrbird »

Phyrbird
SOKY
Adam Lee

Re: Heads up!! Unfired 300Sav on GA

Post by Adam Lee »

Carl,

I took a look at that gun online just a few minutes ago. Sure is a shame that the rifle had been set up with the scope mount, but a beauty nonetheless.

After looking closely at the packing box, the closeup pics, I am not sure whether to believe it was never fired, but it sure looks minty. With that box and labeling, as well as the 1948 restocking stamp on the box, it sure does appear "the real deal" and at 1k it might be someone's new toy very soon! (not me though....)
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but the name of the seller has the same last name as a very nice nice deceased gentleman by the name of Mr. Joe Frankie of Newport News, VA. I know that Roger and Cameron know of Mr. Frankie. I have sent an inquiry to the seller and have not heard back at this submission of this post.

Mr. Frankie was an avid gun collector and part of his collection had a large number of Remington Model 8 and 81's which I purchased. I visited Mr. Frankie before he had passed away to pick up the collection. I saw and held this rifle on May 21, 2010. The gun was to have been included with the rest of the Remington 8&81 collection but at the last moment, Mr. Frankie said he would have to have an additional $1000 for this rifle and it's original box because of the box and never been fired. Upon inspection, I determined that the rifle had been fired and this was acknowledged by Mr. Frankie. He told me he could not remember what had happened to the scope. In spite of the fact that the rifle was in pristine condition, other than it had been altered and the carton showed was in the same condition as the current rifle on Guns America, I passed on the rifle because I did not feel it was worth it.

I have the serial number of the rifle on the list of guns that I had agreed to purchase from Mr. Frankie and it is the same as the one listed on Guns America. I do not know what happened to Mr. Frankie's collection after he passed away. I know he had a son but do not recall any thing beyond that. I did view some of the other guns that the seller has for sale and I recognize some of them from my visit to Joe's home. Just goes to show that it is a small world.

Regards,

jack1653
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

I received a reply from the seller and it was the son of the late Mr. Joe Frankie, Joe Frankie, Jr. He indicated that he is still trying to sell off his father's collection.

Like I stated in my previous posting, the rifle was pretty nice and you don't often see them with the original box even if the box shows some wear and tear. It is too bad that someone had put the scope mount on the rifle because in my opinion that hurt the value of the rifle as a collector. It would make a very good shooter and I am sure a scope could be found to fit the mount.

Regards,

jack1653
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

A great head's up post Phyrbird, I had also seen this listing earlier but new nothing about it...

"I am not sure whether to believe it was never fired." - good eyes Adam!!

Thanks Jack for the info and confirmation, indeed it is a small world...!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I know I can't afford it for now, Besides got my own box last year.... 8-)
Appreciate the Kudos, Thanx oh grand & Mighty Imfuncity.. :D
Phyrbird
SOKY