GB 1910 M8 25-35

Items for sale or trade
imfuncity

GB 1910 M8 25-35

Post by imfuncity »

For those that don't have a 25Rem yet
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =305232923
To my eye looks original and no reserve - no dog in this hunt - but kind of wish I had waited on one of these, like the "25-35" mislabel uniqueness.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Re: GB 1910 M8 25-35

Post by DWalt »

May be someone here that can cast more light on the subject, but the barrel extension appears to be marked .25-35. There are in fact some cartridges known having the .25-35 Remington headstamp legend, but those are not dimensionally identical to the .25 Rem auto. So there is a possibility that some very early Model 8s could have been chambered in .25-35 Remington. Or is there? I don't know.
texassako

Post by texassako »

I have one marked .25-35 Rem and it is chambered for what we know as .25 Rem now. I believe it was the marketing department, and not the designers, that made the mistake of trying to copy Winchesters naming system. I have seen pictures of an earlier, different design to the cartridge before any rifles left the factory, and I don't think any rifle has ever surfaced chambered in it. The .25 Rem chamber would clean out all trace of the old chamber, designers wanted less taper, steeper shoulder, and shortened the neck by moving the shoulder up I think. On a side note, a .30-30 Rem cartridge is on GB currently. My article on the .25 Remington mentions no differences, not even the possibly original design, and mentions only about 5000 M8's were chambered in it.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

texassako - is correct the 25-35 markings on the early M8 were mismarked from the factory but they were really chambered for the 25Rem. Sorry thought that was common knowledge now. (I also have a short memory, as one of my first questions when I got on the earlier version of this forum 5yrs ago was... can I use Winchester 25-35 in the M8!! Answer no then and now.) Plus, the 30-30 markings on the early M8 was also a marketing (stupid) designation as it is really chambered for a 30Rem.

But on another note (and take this for what it's worth from a non-reloader) the 25-35Win cases can be used to create 25Rem, very similar procedure as making a 30-30Win cases into 30Rem, or so I’m told.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine