25Rem Model 8 - GB# 300422527

Items for sale or trade
81police

25Rem Model 8 - GB# 300422527

Post by 81police »

So members here can be as informed as possible, here are a few more pictures of this rifle in better lighting (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =300422527)
Attachments
WILDWOODS M8.jpg
WILDWOODS M8.jpg (775.89 KiB) Viewed 4512 times
WILDWOODS MODEL 8.jpg
WILDWOODS MODEL 8.jpg (794.38 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Re: 25Rem Model 8 - GB# 300422527

Post by jack1653 »

Hey 81police,

I want to personally thank you for looking out for the best interest of the membership. Your meticulous record keeping and the ability to bring old issues to the front never cease to amaze me. I would like to think that most seasoned old gun enthusiasts can spot the re-blued and re-finished rifles. However, there are a lot of novices that can be easily persuaded to buy if not properly informed.
A great big THANK YOU for your contined good work on our behalf.

Regards,

jack1653
Last edited by jack1653 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Cameron,and jack,I couldn't agree more with you on this subject. Any novice members/collectors should save these pics to refer back to as examples of what not to buy!! This is what a poorly reblued gun looks like. I've got 30 plus yrs. Of experience in looking over collectible guns but that doesn't happen overnight. This is a good learning chance for any new collector. It's too bad though, if they mis represented it to prospective buyers.
Thanks for your time,
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

Thanks for sharing those photos Cam. I believe those photos are from a few years ago when the rifle was offered by the same seller as factory original and flat new. It was actually supposed to be a special order factory high gloss finish. Obviously the seller was somewhat unaware of the fact that it was refinished despite buff marks and several members who courteously sent him a note to help him with his description. I believe the guy was trying to be honest, but just didn't know what he actually had. Unfortunately, he claims to have owned several hundred of these rifles, which demonstrates why our participants on this site need to be aware of what they are buying regardless of what people claim. Honest people do sometimes people make judgment errors and make certain claims. Next thing you know, these claims get perpetuated as truths or something special the factory offered. This gun is a prime example of this as the described condition of this rifle has change as described by the same guy. I have literally owned, bought and sold hundreds of Remington 8 & 81's and have held and examined thousands and have never seen an original factory high gloss finish on a single one. I have spent hundreds of hours at Remington's Ilion factory as part of the RSA research team going through their records and have never once seen mentioned the option of a high gloss finish being offered or actually done on these rifles. I am not saying Remington never did one, you never know for sure what they actually did, but I would be highly suspicious and make careful examination of one before I would claim it as original. I have seen some very nicely refinished rifles with this type of finish, but never original. The gentleman claims to have sold this rifle for $2200 four years ago, but now he has it back and this time he is describing it as an old reblue. I wonder what enlightened him to the realities of the rifle since he was adamant it was original. The gun has no real collectors' value as it is completely redone, but it is still a nice gun for a shooter or someone who wants a rarer caliber and doesn't mind the refinish. He is also currently selling rifles in .30, .35 and .32 calibers. I although he describes both the .25 and .30 as being reblued, I believe the .35 has also been redone from the pictures and the fact that the wood has been redone. The .32 looks original to me from the pictures he uses and appears to be a decent gun. All of his current rifles are decent guns, bidders just need to be aware of what they are buying.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks guys for the info and handling a delicate subject respectfully - as per normal on this forum!

Personally, I was searching through my photo files trying to remember what I knew about the guy with the very distinctive beach towel. Hadn't noticed "NR" - "New Seller" until a few minutes ago when I was checking the auction progress again.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine