Post by Wildgoose »

sighthound

Re: M8 on Gun Broker

Post by sighthound »

What is that rear sight??? Jerry
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

My guess is "maybe"...., but probably not! The blue on the receiver and the barrel is unusually strong, but, there is the normal edge wear on the sharp edges, and at the the carry position. A couple scratches on the receiver and the barrel, and the operating handle does not appear to be blued. Looks like it was taken good care of, or not used much.

The butt plate is unique and rare, (according to Henwood's book), the S curve military style butt plate, with the top tang, is not seen that often. My Grandfather's 25 Rem, converted to 30 Rem, has that same butt plate. It gives the butt stock a very nice look.

I "wish" I had the $$$, I would be a player on it...."just because I don't have a 32 Rem", and I like the rifle too!

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Clint - You need this one (assuming his reserve is reasonable) very nice if not reblued. What do you want to sell? :D

If not, I got a .32 or two or.... Plus it's "bout ready to start warming up down here, might need to make a visit where it's a bit cooler. 8-)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

My boss would use it to eliminate me and my "jackitis affliction". That would be one to add to the collection however. I really like it a LOT!!!

Bring on the visit to the cold and wet northwest. I have a friend from Missouri staying with us for the first half of July. After that, we would have room for you. I look forward to it.

Clint
Roger

Post by Roger »

Guys,I emailed the seller on this rifle @He says his best guess is that it has been reblued. But he also said that he really doesn't know for sure. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

The rifle looks fairly nice, but my guess would be that it is a reblue. The rear sight is obviously a replacement and not correct vintage. It looks similar to the sights on modern Remington pumps and autoloaders like the 742, 760, 7600, etc., but I don't think it is. I hate to challenge Clint, but that is not a rare S curve military buttplate. Rather, it is a standard top tang. The S curve buttplates have a much shorter top tang which is rounded at the top and a more pronounced bottom tang. I've owned several of these and still have a couple and they are different than what is represented on this rifle. I thought the same thing at first glance, but looked closer at the pictures and the top tang to clarify. The pictures are dark so hard to tell much of anything.
Last edited by Rem8&81 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

The more eyes the better, I always say (sometimes ;) ), easy to miss stuff.

Clint - just tell her you need to finish out the set, like a pair of shoes or a scarf for an ensemble... :roll: (Let me know how that works for you, never has for me. :P) Be a while before I get up there to get you in even more trouble... but what do you have in the way of gun shows in Aug or Sep? :twisted:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Corey,
You are correct with your observation of the butt plate....I just checked mine, and the top tang on the "S" curve IS much shorter. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I had not noticed that difference before. I learn something from you guys every time I visit the forum.

It is still a nice looking rifle.

Clint