Anyone ever hear of a factory trapper model 8?

Items for sale or trade
Silvermino

Anyone ever hear of a factory trapper model 8?

Post by Silvermino »

I have never heard of the factory producing this version. Has anyone?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =277757258
imfuncity

Re: Anyone ever hear of a factory trapper model 8?

Post by imfuncity »

I have not - 'cept for the new stuff the guys have been working on and shooting. If there is anything in Henwoods book, I can't find it. Wonder what is his barrel length?

Tempted to do a look-see but is a 3+hr drive in good weather (snowing now and calling for more). I do like a mountain drive - He still has it in May might just...? 8-)
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

LOL no, and no such thing. My carbine has rear sight also with all the lettering. Good marketing tho if it sells will sell mine for that..........

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

Just spent an hour or so going through my Henwood book. Theres no mention of a "trapper" version of the model 8.
My gut feeling, even though I'm just a newbie around here, is somethings wrong, big time.
That barrels shorter than some of the modified carbines I've seen elsewhere. I'm guessing it to be about 13 inchs long!
Wow! Moreover, if Remington had built, even on special order, twelfe or so of these, I can't believe Mr. Henwood
wouldn't have wrote about them in his book. He's too pains taking a writer to allow something like that to get by him.
(My opinion anyway)
I notice he's asking some heavy dollars for that rifle also. If I were going for a price like that it would make sense
to have some documentation, perhaps from Remington.
By the way, the term TRAPPER is new to me. Does that refer to barrel length or to the intended use of the rifle?
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

I like it though!!!! For 1/3 that price!!!!

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Rem8&81

Post by Rem8&81 »

I have never heard of a the factory making a factory trapper and can almost guarantee there was no such thing. My father and I have been to the plant many times pouring through the archives as part of the RSA history and archive team. While we have found many records which we provided for the book, absolutely nothing on a trapper. There would certainly be something, based on the other records found discussing any possible changes or variations that they made and did not make. While Hendwood's book is certainly the go to resource on most things Rem 8 or 81, John wouldn't know if there was or was not a factory trapper model. While John was an enthusiast of 8 & 81's, his historical knowledge was fairly limited and much of that type of information for the book came from my father and others who truly had collecting experience and knowledge. That is in no way meaning to be disrespectful to John, rather to simply clarify that John is a good writer who worked hard to assemble a great book from the knowledge of those who had the information and could provide the correct data. The majority of the official factory information for the book came from Roy Marcot or Bob Creamer, as they were the ones who had access to the plant achives and Bob had 30 years of focused collecting of the model. As Bob's son, I can tell you that we are almost 100% sure the trapper offered on GB, while nicely done and interesting, is not factory and there are not 11 more like it from the factory floating around. Pete is the only one to produce these trapper models in any numbers and those are limited.
Last edited by Rem8&81 on Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#004000]COREY CREAMER[/color]
81police

Post by 81police »

Thanks for the insight Corey!

It's very true the vast majority of confirmed history we have on the Model 8 & 81 is owed to the time and efforts of the RSA's Research Team.

And I would agree with you that while the Model 8 in that auction was tastefully done, it's probably not a factory job.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator