How many ex Marine Corp or Army here?

Items for sale or trade
mr mike

How many ex Marine Corp or Army here?

Post by mr mike »

Being retired Navy, I still follow a lot of the periodicals I viewed while on active duty.
This includes Navy Times and Pacific edition of the "Stars and Stripes".
I happened across this article in the on-line "Stars and Stripes". Maybe some on this site are familiar
with this gun, the Remington M-24. It appears
Remington has a bunch they plan to sell to folks outside the military. Heres the story,
perhaps some of you that are retired military or still active in reserve components would be interested in this
check it out.
----------------------------------------------
Remington makes M24 available to soldiers
By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Jan 15, 2012 9:28:36 EST

Many soldiers have drooled at the idea of spending a day behind the M24 sniper rifle. Now you have a chance to own one.

Manufacturer Remington made a unique deal with the Army that will make nearly 2,000 M24s available for purchase.

As the Army upgrades 2,500 M24 sniper rifle chassis to XM2010s, replaced parts are normally destroyed. In return for a reduced price on its XM2010, the Army is letting Remington use those operational parts to build a complete M24 system, said Trevor Shaw, Remington spokesman.

This is not a cheap knockoff, mind you. It is the same rifle that snipers have carried for nearly 25 years. Each rifle has 800-yard accuracy and will include:

• A new M700 long-action receiver.

• A new 40X trigger assembly externally adjustable from 2 to 8 pounds of pull.

• A new 24-inch 416R Stainless Barrel with 5R rifling with 1-11.25-inch twist.

• The H-S Precision Kevlar Graphite composite stock with a full-length aluminum bedding block, adjustable length of pull, ambidextrous palm swell on grip, and a beavertail-type fore-end.

• The venerable Leupold-Stevens M3 Ultra fixed scope at 10X with a range-finding mil-dot reticle and bullet drop compensator.

• Matte-black “Rem-Tuff” powder coat external finish.

• Harris short bipod.

• Detachable Redfield Palma Match rear sight with a Redfield Olympic big-bore open front sight.

• Hard carrying case.

The rifle will run you $3,500. That may seem like a big chunk of change, especially when you can buy Remington’s Model 700 XCR Tactical Long Range for $1,500. But the M24 is in a whole different league, and its asking price is about half the original cost, Shaw said.

“The barrel is unique, the rifle is drill-tapped for the open sights. … There is just no other gun like this that we make,” he said. “Just the stock and scope would cost you $2,000. You can build or buy something that will match this capability, but it will cost you $6,000. And it won’t be an M24.”

Remington will take orders beginning in mid-January. Details will be available on the company’s website, http://www.remington.com. Current and former U.S. military snipers have first shot. Active-duty service members, National Guardsmen and reservists are next in line, followed by retired military personnel. If rifles remain, federal agents and law enforcement officers can get in on the action.

The gun maker has 250 systems on hand now and expects another 400 in the coming months, Shaw said. The bulk of repatriated parts will come in October. Remington expects to pump out roughly 100 weapons a month through the end of 2013. Delivery time may take up to nine months. The M24s will be built on the same production line as XM2010s and foreign-sold M24s.
imfuncity

Re: How many ex Marine Corp or Army here?

Post by imfuncity »

Thanks, sent it on to my son who is still reserve; plus his wife will become active duty in June. Maybe they can get in on it.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Post by 45guy »

4 years Marine Corps and 2 years Army here.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Six years US Army, Captain, Vietnam helicopter pilot!

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
big al

Post by big al »

4 years in Army M1A1/A2 tank driver.
big al
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Guess I should have included me :? 67-72 Navy, Air Traffic Controller
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

Wasn't tryin' to take muster when I posted. Just trying to get the word out on those
sniper rifles. But what the heck.

U.S. Navy 1957 - 1987
aircraft structural mechanic , served with squadrons and commands operating
AD-5, AD-6, AD-7, A-4, A-3 aircraft. Also maintained A-6A, EA-6A, and EA-6B aircraft.
Operated with squadron aboard USS Lexington, USS Saratoga, USS Kitty Hawk, USS Enterprise,
USS Coral Sea, and USS Midway ( with VAQ-136)

If they called me I'd go back tomorrow! 8-)
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed, and it turned into an interesting post albeit something totally different. :o

Although I never went to sea, we did cross paths a couple of times. :)
mr mike

Post by mr mike »

While we talk military service, thought I'd post this little video that I came across on you tube recently. This is my last
sea duty squadron, the Gauntlets of VAQ-136 forward deployed out of Japan aboard USS George Washington. I served with this squadron from 1979 to 1983 before my last tour ashore at Atsugi Japan. While on shore duty in Washington state I voluntered to go out with this squadron when they recieved orders to Japan in 1979. One of the most challenging
yet rewarding sea duty tours in my navy career. Operating as an element of air wing five aboard USS Midway we operated from the north Pacific out to the northern reachs of the Indian ocean. When operating independently of USS Midway we flew out of Korea, all over Japan, Iwo Jima, the Phillipines, Singapore, Diego Garcia, even Australia.
The commands been in the far east all these years providing electronic warfare for fleet units as well as operating
the HARM missile sytem when required to take out opposing electronic warfare sites. This is a proud outfit and I'm proud to say I was a small part of it.
By the way, turn up your speakers a bit, the musics kinda cool to.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YboN5iZW6WY