.30 ammo on ARMSLIST

Items for sale or trade
45guy

.30 ammo on ARMSLIST

Post by 45guy »

"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
Sarge756

Re: .30 ammo on ARMSLIST

Post by Sarge756 »

Thanks for the info. He wants $150 for 100 or a buck and a half per round.It is 160 gr full metal jacket.Useless except for punching holes in paper. Buffalo arms sells loaded 170 gr core-lokt for $35 a box. 25 Rem w/117gr core-lokt for less than $30 a box with purchase of 5 or more boxes.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I guess I don't understand this. People get excited over factory ammo at $1.50 per shot, when they could be reloading for 50 cents, and possibly far less less depending upon your component sourcing? What's to get excited about?

For anyone who plans to shoot more than a few rounds per year, it's a far better deal to invest in some simple reloading tools. Any you don't EVER have to worry about finding ammo somewhere for an odd caliber. Aside from the cost savings, reloading is itself an interesting activity, and I would probably continue reloading even if the huge cost benefits did not exist.

It's been many years since I've bought any factory ammo (except for .22 RF) and it will probably be even longer until my next purchase.

I shoot a lot of unusual calibers not readily available, such as 6.5X55, 7.5X54, 8mm Kropatschek, 11mm Mauser, .303 Savage, .30 Remington, .220 Swift, .45 S&W, .38 S&W, .38 Long Colt and many more (including the .300 Savage I just started loading) that you can't just go to the nearest Wal-Mart and buy. And for most of them I make (or can make) my own brass from other calibers. And I'm not even considering all of the other not-so-rare calibers I load, such as .30-'06, .308, .243, .45 ACP, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, 9mm, etc., as I load those too.

For shotshells, I used to reload them by the thousands every year when I shot skeet a lot. But I've pretty well gotten away from shooting clay birds. so my shotshell reloading tools go largely unused. Also, as the cost of shot has risen so high, there is not nearly the cost advantage of reloading them as there once was over factory loads.
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Everyone take a Valium and calm down. I reload, and I'm not particularly excited. However, many forum members do not, and the price for good factory paper punching ammo is cheaper than buying reloads from Buffalo, et al.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Bought it.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Good job. What is the head stamp?

That is my concern with using something like the 30-30Win (if and when I start reloading) I could use it to make my .25Rem, .30Rem, .32Rem, .219DW, etc. I know first hand confusion can happen: 30Rem down a .32Rem barrel - performance wasn't very impressive!! Plus rather expensive to waste. Trying a color code on the heads to keep things straight - but I haven't yet painted the rifle to match the ammo, so I could still have a problem. :lol:
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
DWalt

Post by DWalt »

I don't mark so much to distinguish calibers, but I do use Sharpies in various colors to color-code different loads in the same caliber by marking bases and/or primers. I use plastic boxes to contain my reloads and simply put a strip of masking tape on the lid and mark it showing the colors and the corresponding loads. I use red, green, blue, and black mainly, in various combinations. You can later wipe off the ink on the bases with solvent on a paper towel. I started doing that many years ago when I was a competitive pistol shooter, and used different loads for 25 yard and 50 yard stages - red base was 25 yards,and black base was 50 yards.

You can also use a Sharpie to write .30, .32, .25, etc., or what the load is, directly on the case sidewall, and I occasionally do that also. Therefore what the headstamp says is irrelevant.

It might be possible to confuse a .32 Rem with a .30 Rem, but it's unlikely that anyone would confuse a .25 Rem with any other caliber.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Dwalt, you don't think painting the rifle to match the bullet color would help? :?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine