Trials Rifle

Items for sale or trade
sighthound

Trials Rifle

Post by sighthound »

A real prize on GunBroker, original 1921 Trials Rifle, might want to check it out, Jerry
rem81auto

Re: Trials Rifle

Post by rem81auto »

A prize indeed. I bet it will be awhile before another shows up. I wish I could have walked into his shop a week ago. :D
Joe Kent

Post by Joe Kent »

I just got off the phone with the dealer and he said he is getting quite a few calls. He also indicated that he has no paper work or any form of provenance. My concern would be Bill Of Sale from the Gov't, ie. like the old or for that matter current CMP paperwork. Do we as a group know if these were actually released for sale or did they just disappear. While you most likely would not be charged, the guns could be considered Gov't property and subject to forfeiture back to the owner. Remember these are not like 1903A3'S ,45's and M1's where there are literally 100's of thousands out on the market. Just a thought.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Going Going and Gone. $12,500. With the 15 minute rule it looked like it was going to go on all night. Interesting as we figured it would be.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

I used to think $5500 for a Police rifle was a good price, never would I have imagined this auction going for over $12k! Was an interesting auction to watch with awe :shock:

Looks like TheGreatModel8 needs an article on the Trial's Rifles :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Rock Island auction in May had 2 F Grade 8s, one sold for about $8600 the other About $9200 including buyers premium. Artistry and quality represented there, but not the scarcity. Would be nice to have both or even one. Jerry
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

OK, so which one of you nuts bought it? :D

Very cool to see something like that on the market. I hope it's real! :o
War Eagle!
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Jerry,
Well you sure got things stirred up.Saw you were there for awhile and then it began to zoom up.It passed my limit early on. One has to wonder if the dealer had a clue what was in his hands when he listed it on GB. I agree somewhat with not taking too big of an advantage of someone and can appreciate the feeling by our RJ in letting him know what time it was but really, what was the point ? Insuring that a collectable rifle didn`t sell for less than real value? Learned long time ago you can`t be the buyer and the seller too,nor everybodys Daddy. I`m trying to imagine where he acquired it.Can`t you just visualize the crackhead grandson walking in with it and the dealer forking over a Franklin for it. I can,happens all too often. Friend of mine bought three(mint) Sweet Sixteens,a Philly Fox and a Parker for $500 couple weeks ago.I bet the departed owner is still rolling over in his grave.He bought them from the son that had no interest in guns. If nothing else this incident and others like it should give all of us in the hobby pause and be the inspiration to prepare for that day all of us will face. No ! We can`t take the gun collection with us on that trip! With the computer age there are several good programs to record a collection with description,photos and values.Do that and also keep a hardcopy book like the NRA firearms record book. You owe it to your spouse and heirs to not leave them unprepared. My 2 cents. Joe
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

"...several good programs to record a collection with description,photos"
Heard that were but haven't come across any, suggestions? Web addresses?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

I never talked to the seller, but someone told me he got the rifle in an estate sale. If the no reserve opening bid was $299.99 you can only imagine what he originally payed for it :shock: ...talk about a profit margin. I was intentionally laying low on this one in case some of our members may have been bidding, but I don't think anybody from here was the winner!
Sarge756 wrote:Jerry,
With the computer age there are several good programs to record a collection with description,photos and values.Do that and also keep a hardcopy book like the NRA firearms record book. You owe it to your spouse and heirs to not leave them unprepared. My 2 cents. Joe
I use an excel file for a firearms inventory, if anyone needs a copy feel free to email me.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Joe Kent

Post by Joe Kent »

Guys, I talked to the dealer after this was listed and he was surprised at what he had. He told me it came from the estate of a long time elderly customer and he was unaware of anything more than it had been altered from the original, hence the $299. opening. He also said to me that within ten or fifteen minutes of the listing, someone called and offered $500. to close the bidding. The same person called the next day and offered $1800. At this time the dealer was aware that he had "something" He said he thought it could go as high as $6000. to $7000. Gentlemen today he must be celebrating in a big way. My son and I were talking and to our knowledge the only single 8 or for that matter 81 that has gone higher would be the one from Dolf's collection that was used by Prentis Oakley in the Bonnie and Clyde shootout. None the less I wish I could have found this rifle early on as I am sure each and everyone of us does. All my best, Joe.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Imfuncity,
Glad you asked as it is time for me to update.I have an older version of Gunsafe and after a search of (gun collection software) see that some better options are available. I am going to download this one at:nmCollector.net .This one was appealing as it is a free for unlimited time versus 30 days ,upgrades are reasonable $ should you need it,ability to transfer info from older software,different size flashdrives to make your collection truly portable. I can see the flashdrive as a plus when browsing the gunshows and opportunity for a trade etc.comes up.Would also give you the option to record an item and sleep on it. Don`t know about you but any help with the impulse issue would be appreciated.
Wife got me the leather bound NRA book for Christmas.I think it was $50. Good supply of bill of sales and firearms record of acquisition,disposition that satisfy the ATF requirements for record keeping for C&R license. Joe
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Yes, I did place a couple of bids early on, as much to find out where it was as anything and had not seen bids of anyone I knew or was familiar with, sent an email to one person I thought might go after it telling him I was done and he did bid later. This piece was way out of my league, over 10M where I quit, can't run with those big dogs. However, have to question those late bids, seemed more like a bidding war rather than based on value, have to agree with one assesment of 5M-7M, but again value is in the eyes of the beholder and for someone who has everything a navel lint brush will not satisfy. Would like to see, examine and hold an original Trials and Fullstock just once, but for value would much rather have high grade items like that Chas. Daly import shown by Sarge on pretty gun thread. Jerry
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Oops, CRS struck again the 12 bore Prussian imported by Daly was posted by Rem81auto, Sarge's piece which I also admire is the Imman Meffert 2 barrel set on Merkel action and also need to recognize Jack's F Grade model 8. These are all very high quality artistry and in at least some instances made in fewer numbers (one of a kind). My apologies for mistake. Jerry