Stith for M8/81?

Items for sale or trade
imfuncity

Stith for M8/81?

Post by imfuncity »

On FleaBay, Stith mounts for an M8/M81, maybe? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123

Think maybe he didn't think: "no drill or gunsmithing required" - won't stay long with Super Glue. The Stith I've seen for the M8/M81 had 5 holes for the rear mount, usually had rings for the 3/4" - 7/8".... Anyone haves holes and such that match these?
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
imfuncity

Re: Stith for M8/81?

Post by imfuncity »

It has been confirmed that this guy is at best uninformed and prefers to stay that way - seems he is trying to pull something over on the unknowing.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Seems he added a comment about the rifle not being drilled. I'd buy it if my gun had the holes, but my 81 has enough extra holes in it already for a side mount I ain't adding any. Besides I like receiver sights.
KEN
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Wanted to thank you for the post . I usually catch the new Stith listings but this one fell through the cracks.I agree with you about the rear mount.It doesn`t match up with any info I have on 8/81 mounts. I was looking for a front mount so I bid and bought it for decent $. My preferred way to use the Stiths is in combination with a short Weaver base and a Weaver ring for the rear mount.The Stith rear mount is at the best unsightly. Five holes? Sorry ,I don`t like drilling any holes ,can`t imagine whirring away five times. In process of finishing up an 81 in 300 Sav that I did this with to mount an Alaskan.Soon as I get it back together and I figure out how to post photos I`ll put em up. The new mount? That will be going on a 1910 Mod 8 that is stamped 30-30 Rem. Guess it has been my week with your help with the post to find things I needed/wanted :D .Two days after buying the Mod 8 I found 3 boxes of green box 30 Rem 170 gr roundnose for $20 bucks a box. I think this is the week I need to buy a Lotto ticket.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Indeed get that ticket and/or head on to Vegas too!

You did get a good buy, hope it works out for you.

Do you intend to shoot the green ammo? I've had one hang fire with old ammo - I'm looking forward to another! :oops:
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Lotto tickets bought! Vegas? I thought the Pharoah in D.C said we shouldn`t go there. Ok, I`ll keep it apolitical. The green boxed stuff looks pretty good.I will probably shoot a few and see how they do. If any sign of splits will pull the bullets,anneal and reload.Drawing tonight at 11.If you don`t hear from me again it`s because I bought the mountain top in Montana and unplugged from the grid.
Joe
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Hope we don't hear from you! 8-)
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

The Stith mount from Fleabay came in.As I hoped the front mount is perfect with all screws.I removed the large ring that was probably for a K4 or similar belled scope and replaced with a straight one inch tube that I had.This will be used with a K2.5 or K3.
The rear mount is a real puzzle.Indeed it is not an 8 or 81 mount.The 4 screw holes rather than 5 being a tip. This mount has been worked and metal removed on the inside upright to clear the top ridge of an 8 or 81 receiver.The smith did a good job with his file work because the mount does fit and could be used if so desired.Only a few slight file marks and flats where a rounded contour should be are evidence of his working it.
The Puzzle- What was this mount intended for from Stith? It obviously is a side mount for a flat sided receiver with top ejection that would require an offset of the scope. I found one mention on an old auction site of a Winchester 71 with Stith mounts. No photos were posted but this could have been what this mount originally fit. Any other ideas?
I`m going to attempt (My first try at this) attaching photos of the mount I got.
Attachments
Stith M8 and 81 001.jpg
Stith M8 and 81 001.jpg (127.9 KiB) Viewed 7032 times
Stith M8 and 81 002.jpg
Stith M8 and 81 002.jpg (140.15 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
Stith M8 and 81 004.jpg
Stith M8 and 81 004.jpg (114.11 KiB) Viewed 7030 times
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

You done good on posting your photos, great piics with lots of details - as they are huge! Exactly what we all do the first time :lol: Might want to shrink them a bit - I was about to grab my file start working on that one little spot right over there where... :roll:
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Thanks for letting me know I`m not the only one to make that mistake. I know just enough about this computer to get into trouble. I will ask "the one that thy shall not cross" to help me the next time .She is the computer expert around here.