Lyman 1AT tang sight is canted to the right

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
cantgrowup

Lyman 1AT tang sight is canted to the right

Post by cantgrowup »

Just bought a 1936 first year 81 (.32 Rem) and it came with a Lyman 1AT rear tang sight. However, the post when raised is canted to the right. The sight post itself doesn't appear to be bent... It looks perpendicular to the base mount. The rear receiver sight screw hole seems like it was drilled in the center of the receiver (haven't measured it, though). I've loosened it and stuck a few beer can shims under the right side of the mount near the screw... and this did straighten the post.

So... has anyone else had the same issue and how did you solve it? I would have thought that Lyman designed this sight so that once it was secured on the tang with the single mounting screw, it would be perfectly vertically aligned. There are too many complex curves on the bottom of the Lyman base for me to start filing away without a clearer understanding of what is the issue. This is my first experience with the Lyman tang sight, and I'm none too pleased with it at the moment. Maybe Remington machined/filed/sanded the top of the tang more on the right side.