Tangs screws

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Trepang

Tangs screws

Post by Trepang »

I don't know how I haven't seen this before but today noticed that one of the tang screws on my 1922 Model 8 isn't really a screw at all - there is no slot in whatever is there.

Pretty obvious there has been work done on it judging by the damage to the adjacent area.

The only history I have on the gun is that it was returned to Remington for repair in 1949. I only know that by the "R" repair date code stamped on the barrel.

My question for you guys is, what do you think was done here? Any theories on why or how this came to be? I can see a mis-matched screw being put in there but I can't even come up with a theory on what happened here.

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Tang screw 2.jpg
Tang screw 2.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
Tang screw 1.jpg
Tang screw 1.jpg (39.53 KiB) Viewed 4149 times
Hibby83

Re: Tangs screws

Post by Hibby83 »

I saw an example this past weekend in a gun shop that had a similar “odd” repair.

I can only assume that it was a stripped screw and they decided against extracting it and possibly using some type of silver solder to fill it in.

Just theories. Someone else may chime in with an explanation.
81police

Post by 81police »

I would rule out this being the product of your factory repair code. It's just not in line with period Remington repair work.

But I also don't know the reasoning behind this :?:
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ranman

Post by ranman »

This is the screw that holds the hammer spring and trigger spring. It is under a lot of torque when factory installed and will not come out easily. It doesn’t need to be removed for dissembling the rifle. Most attempts end up ruining the slot and this may be the previous owners way of making it look “better”
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Thanks guys - I sincerely appreciate the information and advice. I assume the best course of action is to leave it alone?
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I did notice the unusual non-screw and metal damage viewing the gun on GB while it was still listed. Thought it strange at the time but forgot about it until you posted Trepang. Still have the GB listing on my "Ended Watch List", went back and took a look at it. Agree with other posts that possibly someone tried to remove the screw and buggered it up so bad they filled it in or replaced it with some kind of pin, but unless the internal metal and tapped hole was damaged beyond use, why not just install another screw the same size or retap to a bigger screw. I would think silver soldering would not have left a gap around the mystery item unless some kind of barrier was installed before soldering and then removing it. The cross groove possibly was caused in some attempt to remove the screw and not only damaged the screw more, but damaged the tang. Agree Remington factory repair wouldn't have done this-if only the rifle could talk. :D Be interesting if whenever you remove the stock from the receiver to see what gives inside, what and how the trigger spring is being retained--just what goin on in there. Be interesting.
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Rifleman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:56 pm I did notice the unusual non-screw and metal damage viewing the gun on GB while it was still listed. Thought it strange at the time but forgot about it until you posted Trepang. Still have the GB listing on my "Ended Watch List", went back and took a look at it. Agree with other posts that possibly someone tried to remove the screw and buggered it up so bad they filled it in or replaced it with some kind of pin, but unless the internal metal and tapped hole was damaged beyond use, why not just install another screw the same size or retap to a bigger screw. I would think silver soldering would not have left a gap around the mystery item unless some kind of barrier was installed before soldering and then removing it. The cross groove possibly was caused in some attempt to remove the screw and not only damaged the screw more, but damaged the tang. Agree Remington factory repair wouldn't have done this-if only the rifle could talk. :D Be interesting if whenever you remove the stock from the receiver to see what gives inside, what and how the trigger spring is being retained--just what goin on in there. Be interesting.
I missed it entirely when I was bidding on it but oh well - it is 99 years old. lol
If I ever take the stock off, I will post pics and maybe we can figure out what's going on.

I appreciate the insight and help.