.25 Rem buffer spring and washers look odd

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
cantgrowup

.25 Rem buffer spring and washers look odd

Post by cantgrowup »

I just bought my first .25 Rem Model 8 (1923) and am disassembling and inspecting. When I removed the barrel shroud components, the buffer spring looks very different from my other Mod 8/81 guns, and there were two washers on the receiver end of the buffer spring. None of my other .30, .32, .35, .300 Sav Model 8/81 guns have these two washers, and their buffer springs are much stiffer with thicker coils. I can actually compress this .25 Rem spring with my fingers and can't do that with any of my other caliber guns.

Are these parts correct for my .25 Rem? Is this cartridge that much weaker than the other cartridges, that it necessitated a smaller spring?

Phyrbird

Re: .25 Rem buffer spring and washers look odd

Post by Phyrbird »

I'm not certain about the washers, not seen those B4. But the buffer & recoil springs are different on the 25Rem. Your buffer looks right. Some of our guys have found a wood buffer with 2 split washers on each end in a few rifles. Pretty sure they were not factory installed. Part numbers on the old lists are different, & Numrich has different numbers i their catalog for these springs.
Phyrbird
SOKY
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Looking at the pictures in Numrich for the .25 Rem springs (part number 33) shows a stiffer spring with 7-8 coils. My spring from my .25 Rem has 13-14 coils. Is that correct for the .25 Rem?
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Not the 7-8 coils, Nope
Phyrbird
SOKY
fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

cantgrowup wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:48 pm I just bought my first .25 Rem Model 8 (1923) and am disassembling and inspecting. When I removed the barrel shroud components, the buffer spring looks very different from my other Mod 8/81 guns, and there were two washers on the receiver end of the buffer spring. None of my other .30, .32, .35, .300 Sav Model 8/81 guns have these two washers, and their buffer springs are much stiffer with thicker coils. I can actually compress this .25 Rem spring with my fingers and can't do that with any of my other caliber guns.

Are these parts correct for my .25 Rem? Is this cartridge that much weaker than the other cartridges, that it necessitated a smaller spring?

Recently took my 25 down for complete clean. The picture you show is exactly as mine is built, including the two washers. These are placed on each end of the heavier spring and yes that spring can be compressed between two fingers.
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Thanks for your reply. Now I can rest easy! :)