Shooting Vintage Ammo

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
kenhwind

Shooting Vintage Ammo

Post by kenhwind »

Went shooting yesterday and we had a box of Western 30 Remington that wasn't full and decided to shoot some. Cases all cracked. Some where shot in one Model 8, the others in the other one. This ammo isn't that old. These were Silvertips, but I had some other loose 30 Remington's also Silvertips that have being lying around for years, something my dad had and they shot fine. I even reloaded those cases.

Image Image

A bit disappointing. My brother suggested that this might have been how the ammo was stored over the years. I only shot the ones shown, not the whole box.
Last edited by kenhwind on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
KEN
kenhwind

Re: Shooting Vintage Ammo

Post by kenhwind »

We also shot these Remington 30 Remington, not a full box either about 14 rounds. Two split case necks. Now I've seen this on occasion over the years, and not always with older ammo.

Image Image
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I also shot the .25 Remington and have a split case as well as one misfire, well two because one of these misfired before. The misfires were from an old box of Western. The split case is from a red box of Winchesters. I shot a few of these only one seemed to split.

Image Image
KEN
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

KW,
That 25 looks heavily burnished on the case body. If powder degraded, & gave hi psi it could cause this. You might consider pulling the remaining bullets, the primers, & annealing the case necks. It won't help body splits but can make a difference on the case necks. Unfortunately the older stuff is not always reliable....
Phyrbird
SOKY
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I buffed the powder off of them. I shot several of the .25's no problem.
We will not shoot anymore of the 30's in the one box, but have others to try out.
KEN
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Phyrbird
SOKY
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Oh I make my own too.
We won't be shooting too much of this vintage stuff, my post was to give a heads up on shooting this older ammo.
KEN