Mod 8 .30 Rem: Hard to insert rounds in magazine

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
cantgrowup

Mod 8 .30 Rem: Hard to insert rounds in magazine

Post by cantgrowup »

I'm noticing that it is very difficult to insert rounds into my 1929 Mod 8 in .30 Rem, with the one spring magazine. None of my other Mod 8/81's are this difficult, and rounds easily pop into their magazines. Is it recommended to maybe slightly bend or file/polish the lip on the box mag or maybe try to bend the mag spring? Or, should I leave well enough alone?
kenhwind

Re: Mod 8 .30 Rem: Hard to insert rounds in magazine

Post by kenhwind »

See if the top of the magazine has been squished in any, otherwise I don't know. I don't think I'd mess with the side spring any.
KEN
fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

Not sure whether you are talking about inserting into chamber or into magazine but here's some info fwiw. I saw an article addressing the difficulty loading the magazines of model 8's, Here's the suggested technique that I found to work.
Instead of pushing cartridges down into the mag parallel to barrel try pushing the cartridge base down first (perpendicular to barrel). As you push down rotate the cartridge to it's normal position.
I found this solved the issue.
Hope this helps.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

fechnerj wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:41 pm Not sure whether you are talking about inserting into chamber or into magazine but here's some info fwiw. I saw an article addressing the difficulty loading the magazines of model 8's, Here's the suggested technique that I found to work.
Instead of pushing cartridges down into the mag parallel to barrel try pushing the cartridge base down first (perpendicular to barrel). As you push down rotate the cartridge to it's normal position.
I found this solved the issue.
Hope this helps.
Read after I bought my first 81 300 Savage ('47 DOB) of doing this when loading, really helped. My 2nd 81 300 Savage (DOB '49) is a either or loader. Not fussy about either way of loading. Rounds load just find laying them horizontal on top of the magazine and pushing in (all five). I don't know if it has anything to do with the springiness and temper of the mag spring or not, but in the '49 version, they all feed without a hitch.