Ejection (Stove Piping) with 81 300 Savage

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Rifleman

Ejection (Stove Piping) with 81 300 Savage

Post by Rifleman »

Hello All! If you've read my last post dated 02/24 on my original post concerning my 81 Savage (First Time Shooting Problems With Savage 300 81-org posted 08/23) I think I solved the problems I was having. After firing 60 rounds all went well except that when firing the first two magazine full of rounds, the third spent brass of each round full of cartridges would stove pipe vertically. I had previously had more problems with the brass not ejecting right, mostly the bolt would slam the open end of the brass into the top of the barrel right above the chamber and really crumble the case mouth. The brass is now stove piping vertically with the bolt already have stripped a new round from the magazine. I've read some that the 8/81 rifles were known for stove piping at times, a lot having to do with a worn ejector and/or spring.

When I disassembled my 81 and cleaned all (including barrel and barrel jacket), the only thing I didn't disassemble was the trigger group, as I could clean and lube without disassembly and the bolt. I didn't disassemble the bolt, but used a high pressure can of cleaner, shooting the 'bejebbers' out of it using the can's straw, then used air pressure to blow it out, and lubed. The shooting I have done with the 81, especially since replacing the latch and latch spring, I've noticed that the ejecting brass doesn't 'fly' far. Most end up at my feet or just a foot or so to my right. While shooting, aiming down the barrel, I can see the spent brass being ejected and they aren't 'flying' far up above the receiver. Is this normal? I would think they would eject farther unless ejector is worn and/or dirty in channel. I watched one video of a guy shooting a 81 police mag model that had a stove pipe from the ejecting brass flying up and then back down into the action, stove piping before the bolt could close. I'm wondering if this is what is happening to my 81 when firing and if it is caused by a weak spring and/or worn ejector. If not the parts, since I didn't take the bolt apart, could there be 'gunk' inside the ejector housing that didn't get cleaned out, or a combination of worn parts and gunk.

I did find on ebay a new (old manufactured) still in original package ejector and new spring at a good price. I haven't installed yet. If ejector channel is just dirty, a cleaning may fix. I don't mind keeping the new parts on hand as ya never know. In fact I've 'squirreled' away a few other parts for the 8/81 (mostly springs) for the 'just in case' as they're hard to find. Any suggestions/comments as to what I've written. I've read and viewed several video's on the replacement of the spring/ejector. Big question I have is can I take the bolt out and replace it easily without doing a complete disassembly of the action, other than taking the action spring out. Appreciate any thoughts.

The 2nd Model 81 in 300 Savage I bought operates fine, haven't taken down yet. Couldn't resist buying, great shape and price. No receiver scope holes drilled, early '49 vintage.
Last edited by Rifleman on Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81police

Re: Ejection (Stove Piping) with 81 300 Savage

Post by 81police »

Hey Rifleman, I haven't ready your previous post, but 8/81's don't normally have as forceful ejection as other rifles, like an AR15 for example.

Since we have modern technology available, one of the most helpful things is to video your shooting is as high speed as possible. Then go back and review the footage of the ejection. If it's not clearing the action fast and forceful enough you may need to change ejector springs. I know ejector springs can be installed backwards, but don't know if that has any consequence on performance.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

And yes the carrier (and bolt) can be removed w/out a complete disassembly of the action.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Thanks 81Police--Hear ya ref more modern auto-loader ejection. My AR's toss it pretty good approx. 3-4 feet to my right and forward. My Ruger mini-14 is a real case tosser-they end up anywhere 4-10' 180* to my right-real PIA to collect brass. Have learned to lay down some old military surplus sheets. Have read by changing the gas bushing it helps a lot. On the possible 2-do list.

As I posted, I can see the 300 brass ejecting up, but not far when sighting down the barrel. In fact, I aimed the rifle downrange at my dirt back stop, then pulled the trigger for 3-4 rounds concentrating on watching the brass. They seemed to go up maybe 6" or so then down. That's why I was suspecting maybe they were falling back into the action. Have to try the video route and watch both normal and slow mo' and really watch the ejection and see if it pipe stoves.

Other than removing the stock and action spring, can the bolt be removed without taking the trigger group off?
Fred

Post by Fred »

With the barrel removed and the bolt all the way back (and the hammer cocked) you can hold onto the bolt handle and depress the magazine stop/bolt release catch. This will release the bolt/carrier. You should be careful of letting it fly without the barrel installed as the handle will likely ding the front of the ejection port.

Once the bolt is fully forward you can use a stick or whatever to push the bolt back far enough to remove the bolt handle from the T-slot. Once the handle is off then you can just pull the entire bolt/carrier out the front of the receiver face.

It requires no tools othern than a penny to pull the fore-end off the rifle.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Any 'tricks of the trade' when reinstalling the bolt. Know from experience with other firearms, not to mention anything mechanical things, that there are always 'little tricks' to putting things back together that makes it a lot easier and less frustrating if the 'tricks' are known. If the action spring isn't removed, is there much pressure on the bolt when at its forward position with barrel removed? Wonder to if there is a problem when reinstalling the bolt and getting the rounded end of the bolt link to match up with the cupped end of the action spring follower.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I never had any issue swapping the bolt/carrier. You can see down inside the action some with the safety disengaged. You can try installing the bolt/carrier with the receiver pointed at the ceiling. The linkage will just hang straight down and fit like it should.

Spring pressure on the bolt is the same as when trying to cock it manually.

Don't over think it. It's not difficult. Grab a rifle, and a penny and you'll see how it all works in 5 minutes.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Thank you Fred. I have had the 81 disassembled/assembled around 3-4 times in my attempt to find my previous problems with it which I believe were caused by a damaged bolt latch/latch spring. (First time shooting problems with 81 300 Savage post). Think if some nice day ever comes to Northern Iowa, I'll have the Mrs video me shooting the 81 (watching the ejection), then replace the ejector and spring and revideo as 81Police mentioned. Be interesting to see if any difference. A lot of posts I've read here on this forum and other sites and literature seem to point at weak ejector spring and/or worn ejector as a lot of the 8/81 ejection problems. Thanks again for the info.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

RMan,
a quick note; keep an eye :shock: on the bolt rotation. When you push back it can turn out of line w/ the bbl block. If so, no sweat, ;) pull bolt back @ half way, (releases the bolt lock) then push it back vertical with a dowel or such. Many of these rifles have sold "busted" because of that trick... :twisted:
Phyrbird
SOKY
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Phyrbird wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:08 pm RMan,
a quick note; keep an eye :shock: on the bolt rotation. When you push back it can turn out of line w/ the bbl block. If so, no sweat, ;) pull bolt back @ half way, (releases the bolt lock) then push it back vertical with a dowel or such. Many of these rifles have sold "busted" because of that trick... :twisted:
Will do, thanks.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Had wife video me shooting two mags full this AM having camera zoomed in to watch brass ejection. Fired first mag slow shots, with one double tap-shot 2nd mag full 'as fast as I could pull trigger'! No stovepipes, brass actually being tossed higher than I thought, similar to other video's I've watched of 8/81's being fired. Think I'll still pull bolt and check and clean ejector channel and parts. Will decide then if I'll replace with new spring and ejector. May so anyway, the very tip of the ejector appears to be worn some, don't know if that is a problem or not. As long as apart, installing new not going to hurt anything.