1927 Model 8 problem cycling (Jam issue)

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Tachelberry

1927 Model 8 problem cycling (Jam issue)

Post by Tachelberry »

My 1927 Model 8 is not stripping the round from the magazine. My reload consists of spire point bullets with new brass crimped on the crimp groove. When loading 2 bullets into the magazine I am able to release the bolt and the first round feeds correctly. After the shot, the second round is not picked up from the magazine. The bolt does not close completely and the barrel also is not fully retracted because the tip of the second bullet which is still in the magazine is pushed under the barrel keeping the action open. Any suggestions? I appreciate any information I can get. Thanks
Phyrbird

Re: 1927 Model 8 problem cycling (Jam issue)

Post by Phyrbird »

TklB,
A lighter load may not cycle the action all the way back. Our Ladies are recoil operated. Cleaning the action spring & tube, the recoil spring, & the buffer spring could help. If the barrel sleeve springs are not in correctly it could have an effect as well.
Sounds like a cycling problem, not a "broke" problem.
Phyrbird
SOKY
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

Make sure the magazine spring is installed correctly, make sure open side of spring faces to the rear of magazine...
Tachelberry

Post by Tachelberry »

The load is a warm load 1.5 grains from a max load. The rifle has been taken down and thoroughly cleaned with the exception of the barrel assembly and the magazine. I will take the magazine apart and give it a good cleaning. What I found odd was the tip of the bullet was moved forward in the magazine. The barrel was not fully forward in the sleeve. The tip of the bullet was impeding the barrel from moving fully forward. The bullet tip was wedged between the forward part of the magazine and barrel as it was moving to the home position.

Thanks for your suggestions.
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

Some times you have to work on the magazine a bit. Sounds like the round in the mag is pushed out before barrel has returned to battery and released the bolt carrier. Try gently bending the mag lips in a bit to hold round down. Make sure side springs are installed correctly also.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

What you describe makes me wonder if your cartridge is too long. You mention a spire point, but not the caliber. We have rifles in four calibers, a .35, .30, .25, and a .300.
A spire point 150 grain FMJBT seems to be fine in the .300 Savage, but would be too long in the .30 Remington.

Using the Hornady 30-30 and 25-35 bullets my loads are a bit longer then factory when crimping on the cannelure, but work just fine. I've read reviews where using the Hornady bullet makes the round too long for the Remington pump, but the Speer bullet works.
KEN
Tachelberry

Post by Tachelberry »

The rifle is a 30 Rem. I think you are correct, the bullet when crimped on the crimp groove may be longer than the rifle design will alow. I purchased some RN bullets and will load some up when I get the chance. Thanks for the advice.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

2.525" is the correct length for 30 Rem. Hornady makes an FTX spire point for 30-30 the works well for 30 Rem. 32 grain of 3031 provides plenty of zip to work the action.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Tachelberry

Post by Tachelberry »

It has been a while since I have had the opportunity to further investigate this issue. You guys were correct regarding the OAL of the cartridge. I reloaded several round nose bullets to an OAL of 2.525". The rifle functions flawlessly. Thanks for all of your fine advice. :D