My model 8

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
turkeyman10x

My model 8

Post by turkeyman10x »

Hi
I inherited a Remington model eight. It was my great grandfathers bought it new in 1906 issue is that I can’t get the barrel tight enough so it doesn’t move there’s a red field Peepsight on it now but I think my grandfather put it on so what happens is is that the barrel moves so it’s impossible SIght it in and I brought it to my gunsmith and he’s never even seen one and won’t work on it . He said I should look for a buck horn sight mounts to the barrel so I’m looking for a way to fix my issue with the loose barrel or some buckhorn sights
So if anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I would really love to shoot a deer with it this far thank you
Bandersnatch

Re: My model 8

Post by Bandersnatch »

Sounds like it might be missing the take down screw lock washer. I had one do something similar and that was the fix.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Phyrbird

Re: My model 8

Post by Phyrbird »

A key point is where the looseness is; is it between the barrel jacket & the receiver, or is it between the barrel tube & the jacket block? Another location could be between the barrel nut & the bushing.
The location matters: nut/bushing can be fixed with replacements not worn, problems with the barrel jacket/block usually require a replacement as well. Granted a reliable, professional gunsmith with a good lathe & mill could fab parts or refit existing part. However the hourly rate is usually exorbitant. These rifles are very similar to a 1911 in function having similar fixes for accuracy issues. We just have NO reliable smiths with any experience dealing with our Ladies. There are a couple mentioned on this forum, I've never have much response from them.
It boils down to hoping to find parts that are not junk already. Good luck.
Phyrbird
SOKY