Interesting Model 8 barrel

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
canuck

Interesting Model 8 barrel

Post by canuck »

I recently picked up a rough Model 8 in 30 REM, so absolutely filthy that the action would hardly move.
There is a "through" bolt in the wrist of the stock, I haven't been able to remove it yet, but have been working on the barrel assembly.
Unfortunately, I didn't think to take any before pictures but the internals were terribly gummed up and rusted.
After a good long soak in diesel fuel, and some elbow grease, things aren't looking too bad - except!!
Mucho pitting on the barrel itself - would you be concerned with shooting with this barrel?

And, interestingly, it is a replacement barrel!
I've never seen this before!

Phyrbird

Re: Interesting Model 8 barrel

Post by Phyrbird »

30 WCF is the Winchester 30-30 round.
The Model 64 is Winchester lever (bent) action.

I could be in error but this looks like a re-barrel assembly from repair/restore.
It could be just fine as long as the headspace is ok. As for the pitting I would be more concerned with deep gouges around or the length of the barrel, they would be more likely to start stress cracks.
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

WILD!!!! Never seen anything like that before
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
canuck

Post by canuck »

Someone sure went to a lot of trouble to keep this gun shooting, the machining of the barrel to chamber head piece (?),tapering of the barrel and the thread/keyway cut on the end must have been almost as much as the gun was worth