Model 81 Scope Mount Questions

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
BZimm

Model 81 Scope Mount Questions

Post by BZimm »

I have a 1948 model 81 chambered in 300 Savage. Previous owner(s) have not been very considerate of the old girl and I'm trying to figure out how much work I am willing to do without losing on an investment. As you can see in my pictures, the magazine has been "fixed" by someone and the receiver has been drilled and tapped at some point. I found a gentleman on this site that is willing to repair the magazine issues and I am comfortable with having that done yet this winter. So now I've been investigating the hole pattern on the receiver.

A while back I found a blip that called my minefield as a Weaver #4 pattern and I looked on eBay and found a Weaver #4 mount for 10 bucks and bought it. Not even close.... 4 holes, not 3 (actually 6). Hmmm, no big deal, maybe I misread the post. Then another fellow saw my gun and said it was a Stith pattern, and I went looking for one of those. Not a chance I'm spending that much on this gun!!!

So then last night I'm on this website and I find this post from 2011:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3220

And now I'm thoroughly confused and I need help. Can someone identify the hole pattern shown in the pictures shown here? I wish I had a better picture but right now the rifle is two hours away from me and I won't get there until Thursday. There are two rows of three holes, the second row is up on top and is barely visible in the picture.

I normally not this dense, but it seems when I get around this gun, a part of my brain goes on break.

Rem81 01.jpg
Rem81 01.jpg (521.88 KiB) Viewed 8136 times

I appreciate any and all comments,

BZimm
I am accountable for my actions.....
35Rem

Re: Model 81 Scope Mount Questions

Post by 35Rem »

Definitely not a Stith.

I'd agree on the old Weaver #4. Cam knows his stuff.
War Eagle!
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

War Eagle!
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

We have a Model 81 also in .300 Savage that had a scope mount on it at one time. Like your issue I haven't been able to match it up, and I'm inclined to believe that our 81 didn't have an 81 scope mount on it, just one that fit. We have four holes, two for one end, two on the other. You can plug the holes as ours was, and use the original sights, but because ours already had four unused holes in it, I went ahead and mounted a Williams Receiver Sight on it, which I'd be reluctant to do to a nice 8 or 81 that didn't have any issues.
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I have a Weaver #4 here and it only has a 3 hole pattern, hole spacing about 1 1/2 inch.
KEN
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I have a mount that fits that hole pattern. It reads "Weaver Side 1H". Works pretty well, actually.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
BZimm

Post by BZimm »

My apologies, I thought I responded to this post back around 5 o'clock and I musta goofed that up too. I'm good at that.

I think I found something interesting and right now I'm on the hunt for a Weaver #7 sub-base. It apparently is made for several different Browning style semi-auto shotguns and also a Remngton 8/81. I've tapped into a fellow that has one on eBay at the moment. A few days will tell and I can retreat back to a state of obscurity.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202070355160?ul_noapp=true

Any of this make any sense to you folks? Thanks for your time and energy.

BZimm
I am accountable for my actions.....