I found the problem

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
miwoods

I found the problem

Post by miwoods »

A number of months ago I started a thread about "model 8 not ejecting". I sort of hit a dead end and put the rifle in the safe. This evening I was looking around at the Numrich website and saw the listing for buffer springs (none available). What jumped out at me is that they list three different buffer springs. The .25 Rem has a 1.935" OAL, the .30 Rem a 1.825" OAL and the .32 & .35 Rem and .300 Sav a 2.16" OAL.

I pulled the rifle apart, dug out the calipers, and discovered the OAL of my buffer spring is 2.16". The problem is that my rifle is a 30 Rem!

Does anyone have 30 Rem buffer spring for sale or have any idea where to look?

Thanks,
MIwoods
pjs

Re: I found the problem

Post by pjs »

This may end up a long read but I hope it helps;
Remember that in operation the ejection is not as it appears when manually cycling the action. In operation the bolt is held back by the bolt latch and both the bolt and the cartridge case are stationary while the barrel moves forward and uncovers the empty case allowing the spring loaded ejector to do it's job. Make sure the bolt latch is capable of holding the bolt open. Don't be fooled into thinking it is working just because when you manually cycle the bolt it stays open. It is the empty magazine that is holding it open in this case. To check, pull back the operating handle and lock the bolt back. Now press the magazine indicator and the bolt should release and slam forward under spring pressure. Good. Now open the action again. Remove the barrel. The magazine will be holding the bolt open. Now pull back on the operating handle again fully to the rear to allow the bolt latch to engage. Press the magazine indicator and the bolt should NOT release. (support the operating handle to not allow the bolt to slam forward with the barrel removed). If it released then the bolt latch is NOT working as it should.
With the barrel assy removed from the action you can measure the travel of the barrel in the jacket. Grasp the barrel jacket in one hand and pull the barrel against spring pressure with the other hand. Hold it against a yardstick and it should be about 3.5" of travel. If it isn't then pull the barrel assy apart and check for debris or extra spacers/washers etc that may be in there. Make sure the spring case is installed correctly. The solid end faces rearward against the buffer and the recoil spring is housed in the front end.
I find these guns work with light loads. Even if you have a .300 Sav buffer spring installed I would still expect it to operate with stiff .30 rem loads. My .30 works with 160 grain cast loads at only 1800 fps.
Pete
miwoods

Post by miwoods »

Pete,
Thank you for the information. I checked the rifle out per your recommendation and everything worked correctly with the exception of distance the barrel moves in the sleeve.

My barrel can only move about 3.25", and this is after I installed a shorter buffer spring that I purchased. The rifle now ejects most of the time with the shorter buffer spring. The new buffer is 1.983" long (original is 2.16", which I believe is for the .35).

MIwoods
pjs

Post by pjs »

MIwoods,
I checked my buffer spring on the .30. It looks like it may be the same as your original. It is a very tough spring. Those are the dimensions shown on the paper.
Pete

miwoods

Post by miwoods »

Thank you for measuring your buffer!

Every time I think I have an answer, I find a new question. Mine will definitely not eject with the 2.16" buffer but will with the 1.983". I sure can't see what the problem is.

The search will continue. Again, thanks for the help!

miwoods
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

Quite possible that as long as your rifle was fitted with a 35/300 buffer spring (2.160 OAL) that the recoil spring may be for those calibers also.
Also the correct buffer spring for a .30 Rem per Numrick arms is only 1.825 OAL not 1.935 OAL as that is for the .25 Rem.
Put all this together and there may be the problem.