Question about the barrel lock

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Bem602

Question about the barrel lock

Post by Bem602 »

Hi folks. Recently bought my first gun and it happened to be a model 8 from Feb of 1929. Came with a side mounted Weaver model 330 scope. It was filthy so I disassembled it and meticulously cleaned the parts. When I took the barrel lock out t the small spring fell out and has issues staying in while I tried to reassemble.

My question is do I have to get another barrel lock or will this one work if I manage to get it to stay in when I put it back together?
Sebastian21

Re: Question about the barrel lock

Post by Sebastian21 »

Is the tip of the spring broken off? It should slip into a slit in the barrel lock and stay in place. These springs are hard to get but can be made from spring stock. If you can not find one to copy take a flat spring and cut it with a dremel tool. Find some picture on the Internet to get a idea what it looks like. If the tip of the spring is in your barrel lock you will have to knock it out using a very fine flat punch.
Bem602

Post by Bem602 »

It appears to be broken since there is one edge that is jagged. The spring will not stay in place. The spring itself is hard to find but I've already found the whole barrel lock for sale. Would it be better to just replace the whole thing?
Sebastian21

Post by Sebastian21 »

If you do not want to make it and the replacement is not too expensive do it. It will get you gun In operation.