Proper barrel nut setting?

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
PraiseKEK

Proper barrel nut setting?

Post by PraiseKEK »

So I'm still new to the 81, and I noticed that I can unscrew the barrel nut by hand. I didn't think anything of it at first but the more I read into it the more it seems I shouldn't be able to do this. I know I will probably have to manufacture a tool to do this, but my question is: Is there a proper depth to set these to? Here's how far I can get it on by hand (Using one of those rubber mesh sheet things old ladies use to open jars) Is it safe to shoot like this?
Attachments
81nut2.jpg
81nut2.jpg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
81nut1.jpg
81nut1.jpg (36.9 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
81police

Re: Proper barrel nut setting?

Post by 81police »

The barrel nut needs to be hand tight with a tool, enough to where the "ratcheting" ceases. Tightening with your hand is not sufficient. I don't recommend vise grips either! Take the time and make the proper tool, plenty of links in here that give suggestions. Jack1653 and I shot a rifle with a very loose barrel nut and it was a very frustrating experience!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
PraiseKEK

Post by PraiseKEK »

I wonder if an FN49 gas adustment tool would work for this? Probably not but i need one anyway. I'll compare the hole size of the gas adjustment sleeve on the FN with the 81 when I get home.
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm not sure about that tool. Just make sure whatever you use, the depth of the nipple that goes into the hole in the barrel nut doesn't seat too deep, otherwise it can mar the barrel threads inside.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator