Striped threads

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Rack shack

Striped threads

Post by Rack shack »

My model 8 has some striped threads on the barrel nut part that is attached to the barrel witches is used to screw the take down swivel into. So with the forarm on the screw will not tighten down to hold it on. And ideas on repairs. The take down swivel threads are good. Not sure what the thread size this is to see if theirs a insert for it pretty small.
Attachments
IMG_1625.JPG
IMG_1625.JPG (140.01 KiB) Viewed 6637 times
81police

Re: Striped threads

Post by 81police »

I'd imagine a good machinist could line you out on this. Any other thoughts y'all?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Well everybody would love to have a good machinist on hand.If not an alternative might be a strip of thin soft metal inserted to give the screw something to grab. If that doesn`t work you might try my go to fix it "JB Weld". Probably have to drill out the stripped threads some to give enough room. JB in the hole being sure to degrease well. Then with release agent (light oil on the threads) push screw into the hole and allow the JB to cure. Be sure to support the screw keeping it straight during the cure. Next day or the next gently back the screw out from the newly formed threads. Have made some repairs with it and really been surprised with how well it holds up.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

A. Try your local tech school machine shop. B sure to take only the parts to the building. Nothing assembled.
B. Try threaded inserts:
https://www.grainger.com/category/threa ... 07183805:s

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet-nuts ... gQodrNkPLg

http://www.hansonrivet.com/rivet-nut-th ... nserts.htm

C. worst case the hole could be MIG welded, then drilled & retapped.

Notice this is a riveted part; Remington loved to do this on select pieces to make things difficult. Good luck with the repair, it could cost more than a replacement.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Rack shack

Post by Rack shack »

Thanks for the replys. I'm hoping I can find a insert. What I'm thinking of maybe trying. It's only the first couple of threads that are striped. With the forarm on and the take down swivel in it only uses those first few threads. If I can extend the length of the take down screw to thread it down deeper I should be ok. Not sure if the would be a good idea or not hate to cut it if it don't hold
Attachments
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG (63.15 KiB) Viewed 6569 times