Peep windage adjustment/mod?

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
johnski

Peep windage adjustment/mod?

Post by johnski »

front.JPG
front.JPG (115.62 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
I have a flip up rear aperture (as pictured) on my Mod 8. Also, there's a flip up rear buckhorn style sight on the barrel shroud.
I've zeroed using Lever-revolutions, to (pretty amazing) success, as I posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4209&p=16085&sid=2f ... ef4#p16085
My method was to drift the front & adjust elevation of the peep for a 200yd zero, then coincide the flip up buckhorn & zero that to the front sight for 100yds & in... very effective!

Now tho, I have a problem when I switched over to a 200gr gas checked cast boolit (over 18.5gr SR-4759, about 1600fps, by the book). I've noticed a general tendency of the cast to impact high & right, when fired from rifles zeroed for jacketed. Still a great group, just a change in POI. I guess this has something to do with the twist rate & lower velocity of the cast.

The issue is the front sight now must be drifted so far right to get back to zero, the sight is almost falling out (also as pictured). Which, of course, means the rear buckhorn must also now be drifted far right to coincide.

Does anyone know of any way, or method or modification, to get some windage adjustment in this rear peep so I can get everything back to center??
Sure, the obvious solution is just to go back to the Lever-revolutions, but I shoot the Mod 8 a lot, and cast is way less expensive, and I have no qualms about using them on deer either!

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
rear.JPG
rear.JPG (95.56 KiB) Viewed 6597 times
Sarge756

Re: Peep windage adjustment/mod?

Post by Sarge756 »

I feel your pain ! Went through this with a couple 99Savages with the flip up tang sights. Soon ran out of front sight adjustment. Sold the tang mounted peeps and equipped one with a low power scope in Stith Mounts and put a Redfield peep that was windage adjustable on the other. Recently traded into another 99 that has a flip over scope and a tang mounted Lyman peep that is windage adjustable. Don`t know how rare this sight is but in years of collecting 99`s and sights to go with them it is the first one I`ve seen. Don`t know of any solution to your problem without refitting with a different sight or scope. Though somewhat not as pleasing to the eye and requiring some extra holes the adjustable Redfield and Williams sights are an option. Maybe there is an adjustable Marbles or Lyman out there somewhere.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2341.jpg
IMG_2341.jpg (71.3 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
IMG_2338.jpg
IMG_2338.jpg (74.17 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
IMG_2343.jpg
IMG_2343.jpg (100.72 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

...what Joe said!

one thing I wondered though - is there any further load development that might take place with the cast boolits which could increase the velocity a bit - enough to possibly "cure" the extreme windage adjustment? Is there a different grain/powder combo that ups the fps and maybe makes a difference?

I am not at all knowledgable about the cast boolits, just thought I'd toss that idea out there.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

3 comments:
1 Dry teflon spray the bore; prevent leading, easier to clean
2 Play around with the powder charge the POI will shift
3 Shim the tang sight to midpoint of the 2 POIs and use KY windage.
Phyrbird
SOKY
johnski

Post by johnski »

I guess shimming will be my next step. I'm already happy w/ the load development (no leading, tight groups, reliably works the Mod 8 action)... plus, as I found here, there's no way I'm going to mod the peep site base!
Attachments
lyman at.JPG
lyman at.JPG (71.17 KiB) Viewed 6535 times
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

That`s a bit strong for one that is missing the fold down aperture. Guess I gave away the perfect one I had listed here few months back.
Joe

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4542
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Joe,
I've seen several that are threaded for an aperture, got one myself. The one in the photo is definitely the flip style. My brother gave me a Redfield adjustable disc aperture for Xmas years ago and it fits very nice. the one I have has no place for a flip type sight.
I'd really like to get my hands on a Lyman 41AT upper arm I need the windage/aperture block. Can't afford to buy another one just for a block. Tried many different vendors including Lyman with no luck.
Phyrbird
SOKY