pine tar

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
northcountrygent

pine tar

Post by northcountrygent »

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to remove pine tar from a rifle stock?
Sarge756

Re: pine tar

Post by Sarge756 »

Ok..Not knowing the type finish and whether you are seeking to save it from a refinish will determine what to use. If an oil or varnish base on your stock then something that would not attack it would be in order. The ones I would try would be pure gum turpentine or low odor mineral spirits. You might also try that goo stuff made for the auto industry to remove bugs and tree droppings from an auto finish. Try first in a small area to see if your stock finish is attacked . A Heat Gun used carefully to soften the tar might also be an option.

Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Having a small background in chemistry, I might suggest Goop handcleaner. It works pretty good on auto paint jobs removing road tar. It's gentle, a cream that sticks, and does the job.
Warning, I do agree with Sarge about care with the existing finish test. You may be limited to cleaning with Q-tips in small areas. Anything that will dissolve tar could do the same to other finishes. You might try some 4/0 steel wool as well. It will dull a finish slightly without removing stock like sandpaper. A wax or True-oil can bring back a gloss finish.
Phyrbird
SOKY
northcountrygent

Post by northcountrygent »

Thanks guys. I'll give those a try.